Monday, August 24, 2015

221st Entry

June 5th, 2037

0815

Dear Earth Diary

Oh.

“I got here about an hour ago. Sorry for not leaving the entrance open, I didn’t want anyone to know I’d found it.”

That makes sense. I would do the same thing.

“Really? I didn’t hear you close the secret door when you came in.”

…Where have you been?

“Looking for fuel. Where have you been?”

Oh you know. Searching. Investigating. Sleeping.

“Sleeping?”

Did you find any fuel?

“Nothing. For a space agency there’s not really a lot around here that gives agency of space. But well done on finding the lab, that’s very impressive.”

Thank you.

“You’re welcome.”

It’s less impressive given that you already found it.

“Yes but I hid it again. Still counts. Anyway, there’s someone that I want you to meet.”

There’s someone down here?

“Oh yes. And I think you’ll want to talk to him. Here. This is Edward.”

Edward?

“Yes, Edward”

So now the truth comes out!

“…No.”

So you’re who was behind this all along!

“No. No, he’s the janitor.”

Oh.

“Is this the guy?”

“That’s him.”

“Right. Honour to meet you etc. etc. Now shut up and let’s get to work.”

…I didn’t say anything.

“Good for you.”

THUMP.

Ow!

“Here, catch.”

What is it?

“Fuel. More than enough to burn this place to the ground. About time we got rid of this.”

You’re a janitor. Where did you find fuel?

“…In my car. Is he always this dumb?”

“Usually.”

“Sigh. Ok, get to work.”

0820

Place is mostly doused. Presumably the hot and burning flames will take care of any bits we missed.

Have taken a look around. I was worried the lab might be in production but it’s completely empty. Guess they must have packed up the previous batch and were waiting to ship it out before starting again.

Or maybe that’s all they wanted? Maybe?

Either way, it burns.

“Does he do this talking to himself thing a lot?”

“Quite a lot. Haven’t you heard his recordings? They’ve been all over apparently.”

“I don’t listen to the news much. So he just talks and it’s getting broadcast?”

While I was out in space, yeah. Now it’s just kind of habit.

“…Why would anyone want to listen to someone as boring as you?”

Thanks a lot.

“You’re welcome. Got a match?”

No.

“Amateurs. Don’t worry, I brought my own.”

That’s quite an arson collection you have there.

“I’m the janitor. I clean up things. Stains, problems. People.”

I am deeply frightened by you right now.

“That’s probably for the best.”

0825

Should I say a few words?

“You always do.”

Yeah.


“Oh go on.”

We finally did it. We shut it down.

“We did.”

It’s over.

“We still have to get out of here and make sure the clones are ok.”

True. But for now… we did it.

“We did it.”


“Can I say something too?”

Sure thing, Mary.

“I just wanted to say…”

Yes?


“Your hair is on fire.”

No comments:

Post a Comment