Wednesday, July 5, 2017

230th Entry

June 10th, 2037

1833

Dear Earth Diary

So. I have some questions if you don’t mind.

“Fire away.”

Where are we going.

“Somewhere safe.”

What will happen when we get there?

“We’ll be safe.”

Is Mary ok?

“She’s concerned at your use of the third instead of the second person , but yes I’m fine, thanks.”

Not you. I mean Mary.

“But I am Mary.”

You’re a Mary. I mean the Mary.

“Oh Mary-Zero. I don’t know. I hope so. We’ll be able to look after her properly once we arrive.”

Mary-Zero?

“That’s what we decided to call her. We had a meeting after we all woke up. Well, many meetings. But in one of them we decided since we all looked alike, numbers were the best way to keep track of each other. It was either that or pick new names, but we all fought over who got to be called Mary, so numbers it is.”

And what’s your number?

“I am Mary-Sixty-Seven.”

Pleased to meet you.

“Likewise, I’m sure.”

How did you decide on numbers?

“An ancient decision-making method.”

Which is?

“I believe the most common name for it is ‘Eenie-meanie.”

Ah. Ok, another question then. How do you know who I am.

“Oh that’s easy. Mary gave us a copy of your recordings.”

Er, all of them?

“I believe she may have edited for time.”

Yes.

“Rather a lot.”

Yes, thank you.

“Anyway, we know pretty much everything there is to know about you, and what you did. So, you know. Thanks.”

You’re welcome.

“I’d love to hear the bits I missed sometime. You’ll have to buy me a drink.”

Er, certainly. Um, you are considerably younger than I am…

“I feel older. That has to count for something.”

Perhaps. We’ll see.

“I volunteered to pick you up. Wanted to meet you in person.”

And?

“Shorter.”

Ah. So… what happens from here? For you, for Mary, for all the Marys. For me.

“We’re working on that. But I don’t see any immediate threat. NASA is in no condition to launch another ship right now even if they wanted to. So all we need to do here on Earth is stay out of the way and be prepared to fight. There’s dozens of us, it’d take some effort for them to lock us back in those crates. Especially with the world watching.”

The world?

“People have been getting your recordings out. Pretty much everyone knows what NASA’s owners were up to. Almost impossible for them to try again now. We’re too famous.”

But what about you all? You’re not exactly US citizens.

“We’re working on that. Representatives have contacted us. It’s been a bit legally difficult to get asylum given we have no country of origin, but smarter Marys than I seem quite confident.”

…And what about me?

“Well that’s up to you. You can stay with us, we’d love to have you. Or, I guess there’s nothing stopping you from going home.”

Home?

“It’s quite nice.”


…What?

No comments:

Post a Comment