Monday, May 25, 2015

196th Entry

May 9th, 2037

1612

Dear Space Diary

“Thank goodness, they didn’t hear the colossal thump of you hitting the floor.”

Not colossal, surely?

“Earth shattering?”

No.

“Pachedermal.”

I’m done talking to you.

1620

Just successfully hacked my way into NASA’s Interceptor, by virtue of the fact that it wasn’t locked. I suppose they weren't really expecting to run into any thieves.

Wow, it’s tiny in here. They really weren't into wasting room. There’s a control panel, two chairs, and a door. There’s not even any beds.

Then again, it’s not a long flight from ground to orbit these days. Just further proof that this spaceship was built with the express purpose of taking us down.

I guess the rest of the ship must just be the engine. It’s even small than my pod was.

And yet still with more leg room.

Thanks, NASA.

1623

Guys, it’s clear. Come on in.

“Wow, it’s tiny in here. Are we all going to fit?”

It’ll be a squeeze, but we’ll manage it. It’s not a long flight to Earth.

“Wow. I’m gonna see Earth!”

You saw Earth this morning.

“Not the same as actually being on it.”

You won’t be able to see the woods for the trees.

“I don’t care.”

“Actually, it’s probably safer if we don’t land in the woods. You might want to aim for water or something.”

It’s a phrase… Wait, me?

“I’ve never flown a spaceship before.”

Neither have I!

“I haven’t either! Isn’t this exciting?”

More like terrifying.

“We’ll work it out. Come on, let’s go.”

What, now?

“Unless you want those two to come back.”

But, don’t we need to pack?

“It’s a short flight, you said. And soon we’ll be on Earth, where we’ll have everything we could ever need.”

Yeah, but…

“Although it might be an idea to pack some nutritional bricks just in case.”

No time. Let’s go.

“Where’s the door switch?”

There isn’t one. You pull it shut.

“Wow! That’s pretty high-tech.”

…We see the world quite differently.

PSSHHHHHHHHHHHT

“Ok, it’s locked. 3.0, you sit there. I don’t mind standing. I can strap myself into the emergency harness.”

“These are quite comfy.”

Much comfier than in my pod.

“Maybe it’s time to let that one go.”

Has anyone seen the ignition button?

“Here it is.”

CLICK


Funny, take offs are usually noisier than this.

“We haven’t moved.”

Did you get the dials working?

“No I looked at the window, at the inside of the other spaceship.”

“Hang on a second, if we go, we’re going to kill those two!”

They’ve got spacesuits. Those things can keep them alive for weeks before they run out. And if they seal off some of the ship, they won’t even have to use them until NASA come to their rescue.

“If NASA come to their rescue.”

Not our concern. That looks like a manual over there, pass it over.

“Here.”

Ok… Has anyone seen a pre-flight –?

“Um.”

What?


“Has anyone seen the fuel gauge?”

No comments:

Post a Comment