Wednesday, May 27, 2015

197th Entry

May 9th, 2037

1631

Dear Space Diary

…It’s EMPTY?

“What does that mean?”

It means the fuel gauge is empty.

“Yes, but WHY is the fuel gauge empty?”

Because there’s no fuel left.

“Why are you avoiding the question?”

Because I don’t like the answer.

“What do you mean?”

Because. The only reason the fuel gauge would be empty is if this was a one way trip. In other words, they never meant to come back. On this ship at least.

“What are you doing?”

Looking out the window. There. I thought so. There’s sealant all around the ship. NASA’s cooked up something heavy duty. This little Interceptor is plugged into the side of the ship. Permanently. Which means –

“…That the only way to Earth is on this ship. We can’t escape them.”

Precisely. And that means only one thing.

“What’s that?”

We’re going to have to kill them.

1633

…Ok, I was expecting objections by this point.

“Why? Sounds good to me.”

“I’ve never met them, but… sure, why not?”

I was just being dramatic.

“We can probably get some knives from the kitchen.”

No.

“You’re right. Too much mess. Well, if we can get them into the airlock without their suits.

NOBODY is killing ANYBODY. Ok?

“But –“

OK?


“Ok.”

“Ok.”

We’ll have to incapacitate them somehow. But we’re not murderers. Agreed?

“Agreed.”

“Agreed.”

“Agreed.”

“Agreed.”

Excellent. Wait. How many people just answered?

“Four.”

“Four.”

“Two.”

“Two.”

…How long have you two been standing there?

“A good ten minutes dude. Psych-out!”

“Attempted escape. And attempted murder too. More charges to be laid.”

This isn’t what it looks like!

“And this isn’t knockout gas.”

PSSSSSSHHHHHHH

Actually I’m pretty sure it… oooooooooooh.

THUMP

THUMP

THUMP




May 23rd, 2037

0750

Dear Space Diary.

Uuuugh. Where am I?

“How do you plead?”

Um… I’m sorry, I don’t understand the question.

“How do you plead?”

Am I in court right now?

“You are in a holding cell. How do you plead?”

I plead give me a few more minutes to wake up.

“Failure to answer will result in an automatic guilty plea.”

Not guilty! Not guilty!

“A verdict of not guilty has been recorded.”

Now, what was it I didn’t do?

“The charges will be sent to your cell to review before your trial.”

Does my lawyer also get a copy?

“Does who?”

Ah.

“This concludes the video conference.”

FZZZT

CLICK

Well. That was one of the stranger ways to wake up.

Unless I’m still dreaming. Which seems quite likely, given how freaking ridiculous that conversation was.

FZZZT

Great, more trial by television.

Hang on, it’s coming from over here.

0753

It’s a printer. It’s printing my charges.

Page 1 of… that number must be a typo.

0823

Or not. Still printing.

0845

CLICK

Well, that’s a lot of charges.

On the plus side, there’s no bedding in here, so I guess I should be grateful for small mercies.

One thing is certain though. I’m not in space anymore.

Dear Earth Diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment