Monday, November 19, 2012

164th Entry


April 3rd, 2037

0316

Dear Space Diary

Ok, ok. I’m sorry for teasing. Please don’t kill me.

“Hmph. Fine.”

I’m at the leak. Commencing repairs.

“It’s duct tape, you’re not an engineer.”

Ok, you know what I could use now? A few less insults.

“…You’re right. I’m sorry. I’m just worried she’s not ok. I’ll be ok once she’s back inside. I know you’re doing what you can.”

You’re very attached to her.

“Well, she’s kind of me. And I’m really egotistical.”

So I’ve noticed.

“Hey –“

Let’s finish this when she’s inside.

0317

Hmm. Ok, slight issue.

“What?”

Whenever I try to plug the leak, the tape blows away.

“The oxygen flow through the leak too strong?”

That’d be it.

“Would you like me to turn it down?”

If you wouldn’t mind.

“Certainly.”

You’re too kind.

0319

Ok, that’s taped up good and proper.  Can I have my oxygen back now?

“Well done! Yes, of course. I’ll just turn her oxygen back on… And done! She can breathe!”

We’ve saved her!

“Providing it hasn’t been too long without oxygen for her. We need to get her back inside to check.”

…We hope we’ve saved her.

0333

I’m in. Close the airlock.

“Closed. Get her to med-bay.”

I didn’t know we had a med-bay.

“We do. Get her there.”

A med-bay. Fascinating.

“If you say so.”

0334

Mary?

“Yes?”

Where’s the med-bay?

0337

“Put her over there.”

She’s heavier than you look.

“Careful now.”

Don’t worry, I won’t drop her.

“Wasn’t even talking about that, but good. Set her down.”

…She ok?

“Hmm. There’s a pulse. Not a good one. But it’s there.”

So what do we do now? Wake her up?

“…I don’t actually know.”

You don’t?

“There weren’t a lot of medical books on the Zubrin. I don’t think NASA thought I was going to need a whole lot of medical care outside of my tank.”

You don’t know what to do from here?

“No. Apart from, start the engines.”

What?

“Well, we still need to get home. The engine’s fixed. We may as well turn it on.”

But what about 3.0?

“…Maybe someone at home will know.”

But that’s a month from now! We need to do something soon. If she doesn’t wake up… What can we do? Come on. You know everything. What do we do?

“Stop saying that! I don’t know anything. Anything at all.”

That’s ridiculous! Who rebuilt the cloning facility?

“…Me.”

Who invented a new condensed form of fuel?

“Me.”

Who successfully crossed humanity with fruit in strange and mostly disturbing ways?

“Still me.”

And who won’t rest until she’s figured out a way to save 3.0?

“You?”

Well, yes, but also you. I’m… not the smartest. I need your help.

“You’re right. Yes. I can do this. WE can do this. This is a time for action!”

Right! Let’s act! 3.0 is counting on us!

“You’re right! Come with me! There’s no time to waste!”

Where are we going?

“TO THE LIBRARY!”

No comments:

Post a Comment