Friday, November 30, 2012

168th Entry


April 3rd, 2037

0533

Dear Space Diary

<LOADING MESSAGE 12>

Are you still listening to those?

“There might be something important.”

Amongst 2.0’s various renditions of songs about loneliness?

“Yes.”

Anything so far?

“She’s doing Beatles covers now.”

…I might stay for those.

0545

<LOADING MESSAGE 33>

__
SO THIS IS FUN. I’M STARTING TO RUN OUT OF SONGS. GOING TO KEEP GOING UNTIL YOU RESPOND. GUESS WE’LL START AGAIN.

ALLLLLLLL BBBBBYYYYY – HOLD ON, WHAT DID YOU SAY?

I HAVE TO GO.
__

…That sounded ominous.

“Play the next message.”

<LOADING MESSAGE 34>

__
MAN I WISH YOU GUYS WOULD PICK UP. SOMETHING’S HAPPENED.

A COUPLE OF THE GIRLS ARE GETTING SICK. I DON’T KNOW WHAT YET. BUT THEY’RE NOT WAKING UP. THEY SEEM OK OTHERWISE, I GUESS, BUT WE CAN’T WAKE THEM. WE’RE LOOKING THROUGH THE ZUBRIN’S MEDICAL LIBRARY.

WE COULD REALLY USE YOUR KNOWLEDGE MARY.

<LOADING MESSAGE 35>

WHERE ARE YOU GUYS? MORE OF THE GIRLS ARE GETTING SICK EVERY DAY. I CAN’T SAY FOR SURE, BUT I THINK IT’S IN ORDER OF AGE. IS IT SOMETHING TO DO WITH US BEING CLONES?

AND IF SO WHY ISN’T IT HAPPENING TO ME?
__

“It sounds like 3.0 isn’t alone.”

But they don’t have med-bays. What are they going to do?

“I don’t know.”

<LOADING MESSAGE 36>

__

ONE OF THE GIRLS FOUND THIS IN THE MEDICAL LIBRARY ON THE ZUBRIN. AND THEN PASSED OUT. HAVE YOU HEARD OF DUPLICATE TISSUE FAILURE? THIS BOOK IS TWENTY YEARS OLD, AND THERE’S NOTHING REALLY APART FROM THE NAME, BUT… I THINK THAT’S WHAT’S HAPPENING TO THEM.

THEY’RE ALL PASSED OUT NOW. I’M THE LAST ONE LEFT.

WHAT DO I DO?

PLEASE. ANSWER ME.

__

“Pause it.”

Why?

“I don’t want to hear any more. It’s horrible. They’re dying.”

I think she would have said if she was actually dead.

“She’s not a medical person! She doesn’t know that!”

Neither do you. The date stamp on the message shows is from… yesterday. We can still do something.

“Great. We don’t know a single thing about how DTF works, and we’re not doctors. We don’t know where to even begin.”

Actually I think I do. I’ve worked it out. I’ve a question for you though.

“What?”

Do you still have the avocado?

“Come on, this is important.”

I really must insist.

0550

“Ok fine, here’s your stupid avocado.”

It looks pretty dead.

“It is dead. It died. Which would be why it looked dead.”

You said it died because it didn’t have enough vat fluid, didn’t you?

“Yeah it was pretty open and shut. Where are you going with this?”

Ok, next question. Why hasn’t 2.0 passed out. Is she immune?

“…Maybe?”

If so, what caused it?

“…You think?”

Worth a try.

0635

Wake up 3.0.

“Can you hear us?”

“…Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. Where am I?”

You passed out for a little.

“You saved me? Thank you, I… Oh no.”

“Sorry. It was the only way.”

“Don’t tell me I’m back in the cloning tank!”

No comments:

Post a Comment