Monday, December 10, 2012

172nd Entry


April 4th, 2037

0633

Dear Space Diary

“Stop freaking out. Suspended Animation is  a well-documented concept.”

Well documented where?

“…Science Fiction.”

I knew it. You don’t know any factual basis for it at all. It’s basically magic.

“Not true! Bears hibernate for the winter. They slow down their heartbeat and basically suspend themselves. Same principle.”

Are we bears?

“No.”

Then, again: Magic.

“Fine it’s magic. Get in the damn pod.”

No.

“Do you want to go home? Do you want to spend the next 5 weeks being bored?”

I won’t be bored. I’ve got solitaire.

“For five weeks?”

Done it before.

“Hmph. I thought you didn’t want to be stuck with us for the next 5 weeks?”

So you won’t be going into suspended animation?

“…No I will be.”

Well there you are then. Problem solved.

“Why are you being so…”

Adamant?

“I was going to use a different word.”

Because I’m tired. Because I was meant to go into space for about a few weeks and that was months ago. Because I never signed up for this. And I never signed up for magical time boxes that freeze you like bears.

“Bears don’t freeze themselves.”

Whatever! My point is I’m up for doing as little as possible that results in another weird machine doing weird things. Or maroons me on a weird planet. Or causes me to have to climb all over the side of a spaceship, while it’s flying!

“…Ok.”

Ok?

“Yeah. Yeah. Fine. So, 5 weeks of solitaire?”

Yes. And it will be great. You might be bored, but I’m not nearly bored enough.

“I’m sorry. You have been through a lot.”

Yes.

“And you’re on the other side of the universe from your fiancé.”

I am.

“Well, technically not the entire universe, but it seemed thematically appropriate.”

Yeah.

“…I’ve been through a lot too, you know.”

I get that, believe me I do. And I understand the idea of wanting it to be on hold as soon as humanly possible. Do what you need to do. I won’t stand in your way if you won’t stand in mind.

“Ok deal. Sounds good. Well, um, I’ll just tidy things up a bit and then I’ll put myself to sleep.”

Cool.

“Mind if I use the computer for a bit?”

Go for it.

“Cheers. Hey, you’ve never told me her name.”

Thought it might be a little weird.

“Nonsense. Come on. I want to meet her when we get back.”

Yeah, ok. I’d like that.

“Good.”

…Her name’s Mary.


“…Mary? Really?”

I said it’d be weird.

0645

All set?

“Think so. Done with the computer anyway, I’ll let you have it back.”

Thanks. I meant for suspension animation?

“Suspended. And yeah, I think so. Going to do a final pass, wander the halls.”

Sounds good. I’ll keep an eye on you, make sure you’re ok.

“That’s sweet. Ok, I’m off. I’ll pop by before I sleep.”

Cool.

0647

Might play a game of solitaire...

<FILE NOT FOUND>

…MARY!

No comments:

Post a Comment