Sunday, April 22, 2012

Eighty-Fifth Entry


March 16th, 2037

1005

Dear Space Diary.

The lightdogs are almost all green now.  And green was the mode used to, well, pretty much tear up everything in their path.

We’re in their path.

…Ok, Mary, can you hear me?

“Of course I can hear you. You’re standing right next to me.”

Ok, good. What we’re –

“You’re not even whispering.”

Great. Shut up. What we’re going to do is slowly back away, ok?

“Ok.”

Good. And starting… now. Back up.

1006

You’re backing away?

“I’m backing away.”

Well done. Ok. We’ve passed two rows of lightdogs already. Well done. How many are there to go?

“Uh, well they’re a bit difficult to count, but at a guess I’d say… 30 rows.”

…Right. Mary I have a favour to ask.

“Yes?”

Next time you decide to fly into a blind rage and charge straight into the middle of a group of benign robots that turn out to be ominous robots with the possible option to turn into murderous robots…

“Yes?”

Next time, don’t do that.

“Ok.”

Great. Go team.

1009

Ok, that’s six more rows. We’re making good progress. There’s nothing to be worried about.

“Except –“

NOTHING to be worried about.

“Except that they’re all green now.”

…Shall we back up a bit faster?

“Good idea.”

Excellent.

1011

12 rows. Ok, just a little faster. A little faster. What is it that kills you in these situations?

“Lasers?”

No, wrong. Yes, the lasers play a part. A very painful part. But it’s fear. Fear kills you. Also beauty kills beasts, didn’t I hear that once? Anyway. Fear is what is going to kill us. So we have to have no fear. It’s like a virus. No fear.

“No fear.”

Exactly right.

1015

19 rows. Brilliant. You see, we’re more than halfway. All we have to do is keep calm and keep to the plan.

“I think that one’s looking at me.”

Screw the plan. RUN!

1016

25 rows. Are you ok Mary? You’re not having trouble keeping up? Don’t get left behind!

“What are you talking about, I’m ahead of you!”

…Wait for me!

1017

29 rows! We’re nearly there! All we have to do is… Oh dear.

“What is it?”

The lasers are on! They’re firing!

“What are we going to do?”

Running sounds good! Keep doing that!

“Good advice!”

30 rows! They haven’t hit me yet! Just a few more and – ARGH!

“Are you ok?”

I’ve tripped! Just get out!

“I can’t leave you!”

Sure you can! I know it’s tough, but you can survive without me. I believe in you!

“No it’s not that! I can’t push the spaceship without you!”

Oh. Well you better get me out then!

“Working on it! Hold out your hand!”

Got me! I’m up!

“Great, now move!”

1018

…32 rows. We made it.

“Well done.”

…Can’t push the ship without me?

“Oh, I’m sorry. I was just scared. I didn’t mean it.”

Thank you.

“I probably could push it without you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment