Sunday, April 8, 2012

Seventy-Ninth Entry


March 15th, 2037

1605

Dear Space Diary.

I’ve seen many strange things in my travels since leaving Earth. Other planets. Robots. Giant pink cities. Alien Death Tubes (although not actually alien as it turns out).

But I think the strangest thing I’ve seen has got to be this.

An analogue clock? In a spaceship? Really, NASA?

And I don’t even mean one of those fake ones where a computer turns the hands or projects a hologram. This is a proper old fashioned one with gears and everything. On Earth, this’d be a collector’s item.

Note to self, sign up for eBay when I get back.

The only thing stranger would be… a speedometer? WHY? Why does a spaceship need a speedometer? This one only goes up to 300 miles, anyway. I guarantee you, we went faster than that.

Yay for recycling I guess.

There are computer components as well, but for some reason they decided to hook life support up to the manual clock. I suppose it does make sense. In the event of a ship-wide power failure, this little watch battery here will keep the clock and life support going for about 50 years. 50 very, very boring years.

Speaking of boring, do you know how long it takes to wind a clock forward 2 days? Quite some time. Not two days, obviously, but still. Nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs.

On the winding mechanism.

1608

Hurry up, time. Mary hasn’t got much of you left.

One day forward.

1612

Two days forward. It should turn on any minute.

WHOOMPH

There it goes!

Tubes are flying out of the dashboard. They supply air and food by inserting… that’s quite unsettling.

…I’ll go stand over here while you, you know. Come back to life.

1615

Dum de dum.

1618

Doo be doo.

…are you alive yet?

I better check.

…she’s got a pulse! And she’s breathing. Very faintly. Still comatose, but I suppose after crashing a spaceship, surviving a flaming inferno, and not breathing for a good while, you’re entitled to a little downtime.

Guess I just have to leave her in there until she gets better. She very stupidly left without a spacesuit (although that probably would have given her plan away somewhat), so I have to leave her inside the ship until she regains consciousness.

…I wonder if my book’s still in there.

1625

…no good, I know how it ends. Sigh.

1800

I found another couple of rocks for NASA just as something to do. Didn’t draw faces on them this time.

Speaking of, how’s Mr Rock doing?

1802

Found him wedged under the seat. Poor guy’s a bit chipped, but still mostly in one piece. Good for him.

1830

Scouted up the hill, can just see the city in the distance, so at least I know the way back.

Mary’s stirring! She’s waking up!

“What happened?”

You crashed. I found you. Are you ok?

“I think so.”

Good. Get the hell out of my spaceship.

No comments:

Post a Comment