Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Eighty-Seventh Entry


March 16th, 2037

1133

Dear Space Diary

That was actually rather fun.

Ok, back to being an adult. Let’s get rolling.

Did you hear that, Mary? I said: Let’s get –

“I heard you.”

See, it’s funny, because we’re rolling the ship, and I said –

“I do get it, I assure you. Can we hurry up?”

Some people have no sense of humour.

“And they’re currently in a space suit.”

…Touché.

1144

Can’t see the valley of the lightdogs anymore, the hill blocks the view. Guess we just have to leave them to their mysterious machinations, n’ stuff.

1230

Stopping for lunch, which given our food systems are all built in to both suit and ship, means we just stand still for a bit and suck on the appropriate tube.

1235

Back to it.

1400

Extremely dull couple of hours. No hills, no chance of getting lost, just roll towards the ever growing dome and the city inside.

Mary hasn’t said a word in hours. I’m actually starting to worry a little. Something is clearly bothering her. Her reluctance to return to the city, her rage at the lightdogs, her sudden insistence on returning to the city. It all adds up to something. Problem is I don’t know what the answer is, what the question is, or why it’s being asked.

Mary crash landed alone on a planet, with about a hundred construction robots, who proceeded to build a city, then wandered off and started digging a hole. Possibly another city now I think about it, but nobody’s using the first one (except Mary, several hundred times), so I can’t see the point to that.

Also, Mary is about 20 years younger than she should be. I’m filing that under the “I’ve got nothing” box of my investigation.

I can’t help but feel the answers for all of this are in the 400(!) page mission document I’ve been sent. Unfortunately at the same time I was sent a warning that under no circumstances was Mary able to see the mission document. Meaning I can hardly say “Mary, can I borrow the spaceship, I want to read a mission document you’re not allowed to know about.”

So the sooner we get back to the city, the sooner I can hopefully find out what’s going on.

Oh well, no sense worrying about it now, we’ve just got to roll on.

…I say, Mary, I just came up with another one. We’ve just got to –

“I don’t care.”

Fine.

1600

Starting to get close to evening and we’ve just hit another hill.

I’m pretty tired from all the pushing. Mary’s probably not feeling the best either.

“I’m fine.”

You sure? No deep dark secrets bothering you? No mysterious fits of rage you need to get off your chest?

“No I’m good, but thanks.”

Ok. Well, up to you. We can rest, or get over the hill first.

“Let’s keep going. We’re on a roll.”

Ha ha ha.

“See, it’s funny, because -”

Shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment