Monday, April 16, 2012

Eighty-Fourth Entry


March 16th, 2037

0953

Dear Space Diary

I’m currently in the process of chasing after a glint of light in the sand. That may not actually exist.

Mary’s convinced she saw something though, and whatever she wanted to tell me seems to have taken a back seat to the burning mystery of “The Glint”, so I’ve little choice but to follow her, if only out of a sense of loyalty and friendship.

Also, I can’t push the spaceship on my own.

0956

I can’t see anything, or any evidence that there used to be anything. Therefore I am convinced that there has not been, in the recent past, an anything.

I voiced this particular opinion to Mary, but she’s utterly convinced she saw a lightdog in the distance. If it was, it’s long gone now.

But Mary is on a mission. And I can’t but follow.

1000

Mary’s stopped on the hill ahead of me. Good. She’s finally realised that we’ve been chasing ghosts, and we can get back to the much more interesting task of rolling a spaceship through the sand.

Mary, are you ready… to… go?

…oookay.

Ahead of us is a valley. Quite large, but not hugely shallow. An almost perfect rectangle, quite unnatural looking. And also, very, very full.

Well, we know where the lightdogs went at least.

The valley is full of lightdogs. Perfectly arranged in lines, ordered by colour. Almost perfect, anyway, I can see a corner that looks like it’s missing one, presumably the lightdog I sent into orbit.

I probably shouldn’t tell them that.

It’s hard to know how to react to something like… MARY!

Don’t throw rocks at them!

1001

She’s not stopping. I should do something.

Oh it’s ok; she’s run out of rocks.

Except now she’s charging down into them, screaming and waving her fists.

I didn’t know people actually did that.

Sigh. I better stop her.

1003

Mary’s a hard girl to stop when she’s angry.

True, she can’t do a lot of damage to them with just her fists. I don’t even think any of the rocks hit them. But I’m worried she’s going to… do lightdogs get angry? I don’t actually want to find out.

Mary, stop!

“You bastards!”

Mary, be careful! These things have lasers.

“I’ll smash you! Bring them back!”

Bring who back?

She’s not answering. Too busy screaming.

I’ve managed to get a hold of her, trying to drag her out of the valley of the lightdogs. It’s not easy; she doesn’t particularly want to go.

“Let me go! I have to destroy them!”

But why? What did they do?

She’s stopped. Well that’s a relief on my ears at least.

Wait, what’s that noise? All the lightdogs have started to… hum? Or hiss, or something. It sounds almost like a swarm of bees.

And… they’re changing colour. Blues, yellows, red, and even some pink ones, all are changing colour to green.

Yellow was maintenance, blue was repairs, and green was…

Oh dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment