Friday, July 6, 2012

133rd Entry

March 23rd, 2037

1800

Dear Space Diary

Well, that was an exceedingly boring day.

We’re still adrift.  In space.

It’s pretty dull. Don’t believe all that majesty of the cosmos stuff. I’ve done it twice, it’s boring. Nothing moves. At all.

Well, that’s not true, I guess. Plenty of things are moving very, very fast. But from our perspective, nothing is moving. It’s all too far away. I’m sure if we sat and watched it long enough we’d see them move. But I’m not that bored.

Yet.

Mary hasn’t come out of her room all day. I’m no psychologist, but I’m guessing the soul crushing defeat and the impending fate of decades of drifting in space, and possibly never even actually getting home may be getting to her.

That’s just a guess though.

March 25th, 2037

0913

Another day of space.  We’re crawling by so slowly. Marysvilletopia - Splat, whatever - is still in sight. Three days in space and we haven’t even made any decent progress. We’ve gone from ‘being in space,’ to ‘being in space but slightly to the left.’

Starting to worry about Mary. She still hasn’t come out of her room in days. By room, I mean bunk room C, so she’s got about 75 beds to choose from and her own private lounge, but nonetheless it’s a little concerning that she hasn’t come out in a while. There’s only one kitchen and she hasn’t used it.

0923

I should go talk to her.

0927

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

Mary, are you in there?

…Hello?

0931

She’s not in here.

The room is deserted.

Mary’s gone! She’s…

“Standing behind you?”

Aaargh!

0935

“Do you want some more ice?”

No, thank you.

“That’s a nasty looking bruise.”

Yes, remind me to return the favour.

“I’ll put it in my diary.”

Sooooo… Staying in your room for two days. What’s up with that?

“Are you trying to be cool?”

Not trying. Being.

“’Being to be cool’ is, in fact, not a correct sentence.”

That’s how cool I am.

“Are you going to be like this all the way home?”

Are we even going home?

“Let’s just say I haven’t ruled out the possibility of a possibility. If you must know, I was simply thinking. Trying to come up with a solution. What were you doing?”

…Wondering what you were up to.

“For two days?”

…Yes.

“Right. Well my brain works a little faster than yours.”

Oh great, so you’ve thought of a solution then?

“…shut up.”

Brilliant.

“But I’ve worked out how they scan for clones . There’s a ship wide scanner just… here, where I’m pointing. It scans in real time, but allowing for error if it doesn’t find a high enough level of clone presence, it shuts down. It’ll start up again it detects enough clones.”

So now we just need to get the clones to stand near the scanner, except, oh wait! WE SENT THEM AWAY. THERE’S. NO. CLONES. ON. THIS. SHIP!!

“Hi Darling!”

…Hello Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment