Monday, September 10, 2012

153rd Entry


April 1st, 2037

2040

Dear Space Diary

Ok, let’s see if I can get this coffee machine to work.

BEEP

This writing is tiny. Or I’m going blind. Or both.

Welcome to the NASAcafe 3000, your number one (and only) choice for deep space coffee. Space is lonely, cold, and black. Just like our coffee!

Unless you have milk.

To order a cup of delicious, refreshing MOONTM coffee, please press 1. To order a cup of tasty, invigorating EARTHTM coffee, press 2.

To order a cup of JUPITERTM coffee, press 3.

Hmm. 1.

Out of MOONTM coffee. Make another choice.

Er, ok. 2.

Out of EARTHTM coffee. Make another choice.

Ugh. Ok fine, 3.

NASA is no longer able to supply JUPITERTM coffee due to quality concerns and recently introduced legislation in the US.

That legislation does not apply in outer space, however. Now printing liability waiver. Please hold.

…I’ll just make some tea.

2055

Mary wasn’t thrilled by the lack of coffee but did agree that any coffee that required you to sign a contract was coffee not worth having. So I’m back to feeling useless.

Figure I’ll give the card house another attempt.

2130

“What off Earth is that?”

A four story circus tent made out of playing cards.

“And that?”

A giraffe. Also made out of playing cards.

“How did you get the cards to stand up like that.”

Skill. Also glue.

“So if we wanted to play cards?”

It would be a very interesting game.

“Right. Well while you’ve been doing that, we’ve been working.  Hard. And we think we’re ready to go.”

Great. What can I do?

“Well, nothing. We’re good.”

…And you wonder why I was making card houses?

“Fair point.”

There isn’t anything I can do? I don’t really feel like I’m contributing.

“It’s ok. We’re all set. I’d like you to listen in, but we should be fine.”

Oh. Ok then.

“Hey. You did do something important. Something very important.”

What was that?

“Save my life.”

…what are you trying to do.

“I’m trying to kiss you.”

Um, why?

“Because I’m grateful.”

I have a fiancé.

“Oh get over yourself. I’m not overcome by mad saviour complex passion. I’m not kissing you followed by getting you into bed. I’m just, grateful that you saved my life. So you get a kiss. One. And nothing else.”

Oh.

“Unless you think I’m so unattractive that the mere thought of kissing me repulses you.”

…They’re two pretty extreme choices.

“Well, which is it?”

When you put it like that.

“That’s what I thought.”

So, how do we -?

“You’ve done this before, right?”

Yeah, of course!

“Good, because I, kind of, haven’t.”

Really?

“20 years in space, remember?”

But before?

“…No. Never. You’d kind of be my first.”

And you want it to be me?

“Sure, why not?”

Oh ok. Well, you just kind, um, I don’t know! It’s tough to explain. It’s more of a heat of the…

2135

“Like that?”

Yes.

Like that.

1 comment:

  1. Ahahahah. Oh dear. :) Here I thought the story was nearly over, but this is probably going to necessitate its own arc...

    Love your work.

    ReplyDelete