Friday, September 21, 2012

158th Entry


April 2nd, 2037

1112

Dear Space Diary

Prepare to open the airlock. Again.

“Aren’t you going to ask if I’m ok?”

You’re ok.

“I nearly got hit by a meteorite you know.”

You said you were ok.

“I know. But now I want sympathy. And possibly a bagel.”

Just get out there.

“I’m thinking of forming a union.”

It’ll need to be ratified with at least four signatures.

“…When we’re on Earth, then.”

Go and fix the ship.

“Fine, fine. Open the airlock, Mary.”

“Opening.”

1120

“About half way.”

1127

“And I’m there.”

“Great work, 3.0. I’m glad we sent you.”

“I climbed along the side of a spaceship. It’s not hugely impressive.”

“I just think it’s important to be supportive.”

I climbed along the side of a spaceship earlier, too.

“Nobody cares.”

Ouch.

“Ooh, do I detect tension?”

Not now, 3.0.

“I’m on to you two.”

“Actually, you’re on the engine. So let’s get to work.”

Anything I can do to help.

“Nope, we’re good. You’re welcome  to hang around, but –“

But what?

“Well, we’re not saying you’ll be in the way.”

…but?

“We’re not saying it.”

I’m going to go make a sandwich.

“That’s the spirit!”

1135

In the kitchen. Wondering what counts as comfort food without being too over the top. …I’m not useless am I?

“Not entirely.”

3.0! Turn the radio off!

“Fine.”

CLICK

Anyone else on the radio?

“No.”

Mary, please. You guys need to work.

“Ok. Sorry.”

CLICK

Chocolate sandwich it is.

1200

That idea worked better in my head.

Checked in with Mary briefly. 3.0 was busy re-engaging the warp couplet, whatever that meant, but from the part of the conversation I understood, things were going well. Probably take a few hours yet. During which time, I have nothing to do.

…Guess there’s always solitaire.

1203

Ok, turn on the terminal and let’s play some… oh. Time for a password change.

1205

What? Not complex enough? But I’ve already got a number… Oh, capital letter. Fine.

1206

SYMBOLS? You’ve got to be kidding me.

1208

PASSWORD ACCEPTED, THANK YOU.

About time. Never going to remember that, but whatever.

And now it’s time for –

NEW UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE. PLEASE WAIT.

Maybe I didn’t make the chocolate sandwich correctly.

1223

Nope, it’s just a bad idea.

Oh thank goodness, updates are done. And now –

INCOMING TRANSMISSION

…You know what? No. I don’t care what you have to say NASA. We’ve had words. You’ve helped us. But now we’re done. I’m. Not. Listening.

And Solitaire.

1245

Just like old times. The good bit of the old times.

INCOMING TRANSMISSION REMINDER

Go away. Ooh, an ace, perfect.

1300

INCOMING TRANSMISSION REMINDER

Come on, ten of hearts, where are you.

1310

INCOMING TRANSMISSION REMINDER

Ok, I should be fine as long as that hidden card isn’t the 4 of… it is, isn’t it. Damn.

…Another game won’t hurt I –

INCOMING TRANSMISSION NOT ANSWERED AFTER 5 REMINDERS. INCREASING VOLUME.

On second thoughts, let’s go see how Mary’s doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment