Sunday, September 2, 2012

150th Entry

April 1st, 2037

1400

Dear Space Diary

I’m back inside. Close the airlock.

“Where’s 3.0?”

“Zoooooooooooooom!”

Apparently she’s practicing her swoops.

1411

So we’ve got a bit of a problem.

“That’s an understatement.”

Can you repair it?

“Can YOU repair it?”

I’m no electrician. You at least know what you’re looking for.

“I know what I’m looking for. But the problem is, where I need to look for it is here, on the computer.”

That’s not really an option, Mary.

“I know that. But what do you expect me to do? Go outside the ship, rewire the ship, then come back inside, check the computer, and if it’s wrong go back out and try again?”


“You do expect me to do that, don’t you.”

Not expect. But, what else can we do? Can you teach me how to rewire the ship solo?

“Sure. Will take a few months, but yes.”

How about the computer? Can you teach me to reprogram it as you rewire?

“Depends. How many languages are you familiar with?”

Er, English?

“We’ll go with no, then.”

“I can do it.”

Go back to your zooming, 3.0.

“Whatever. Zoooooom!”

Well, the choice is yours, Mary. I’m happy to try and learn, but I can’t guarantee I’ll pick it up. I don’t really have an aptitude for engineering.

“Neither did I. Then again, I did have 20 years and nothing else to do.”

It’s either that, or rewire and reprogram yourself. And that’s a lot of work.

“Well, it would be easier if you knew how to do… well, anything.”

Gee, thanks.

“Sorry. If something happens to me, you should know. I’ll teach you. But first, we need some supplies.”

That’s the sprit! What do we need?

“About 25 rolls of duct tape. Otherwise those wires will just fray open again in the next meteor shower.”

Does the ship have a supply cupboard?

“I’ll check. It has… 47 supply cupboards.”

And which one has the duct tape?

“That information is classified, apparently.”

Duct tape is classified?

“Apparently.”

…Seriously?

“Oh I don’t know! But the supply list is. So the only way to actually find any is to go through the cupboards.”

Do we know if they even have any duct tape?

“It’s a space ship. I guarantee you there’s duct tape. It’s like the most useful thing ever.”

Bet you ten bucks?

“You’re on.”

…Do you actually have any money?

“No. Do you?”

No.

“Ok then.”

1435

“How goes the search?”

I’m up to cupboard 5. It’s full of toilet paper. You?

“Cupboard 43. Stationary.”

1453

“Cupboard 33. In-flight entertainment guides.”

Cupboard 8. The NASA Mascot collection.

“Only three cupboards? What’s the hold up?”

I got a little distracted by Cupboard 7.

“What was in there?”

Crime Thrillers.

“Who would fill a spaceship supply cupboard with Crime Thrillers?”

Me.

“Besides you.”

NASA.

“Oh, shut up.”

1459

Bingo!

“Well done!”

Thank you.

“Well played. I haven’t played Bingo in years.”

Me neither.

“Mm.”

Also, I found the duct tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment