Wednesday, September 12, 2012

154th Entry


April 1st, 2037

2137

Dear Space Diary

“You’re staring into space.”

…I am? Sorry.

“You’re not reading too much into our kiss, are you?”

Me? No! Of course not. I have a fiancé. That kiss meant nothing.

“Was it that bad?”

I didn’t mean that and you know it.

“Ok good. Because you shouldn’t read anything into it. That would be bad. It was just a thank you kiss.”

Don’t worry, I know.

“So you’re not reading anything into it?”

No.

“Oh. Fine. That’s fine. Well fine then!”

SLAM

…I’m very confused.

2145

“Hey where’s Mary? I want her to check the wiring stuff so we can go home. Well, so you can go home. I’m going somewhere new, which is pretty exciting when - Are you alright?”

Um. Yes. Yes I’m fine.

“What just happened?”

I don’t actually know.

“You sure you’re alright?”

Er, no, yeah. I’m fine. Nothing. Nothing happened.

“So you didn’t know that nothing happened.”

…Yes.

“Outstanding.”

I’m going to bed.

“Is Mary going to bed too?”

No! I mean, yes. But not with me. She has her own bed.

“…Right. I’m going to go to bed too. In my own bed. Because apparently we’re specifically mentioning that.”

Go to bed.

“Way ahead of you. Night!”

April 2nd, 2037

0122

That was certainly an… interesting evening.

Shouldn’t get too work up about it. It didn’t mean anything. Mary said. Wait, she got really upset when I agreed with her that it didn’t mean anything. So if she’s angry that I thought it didn’t mean anything, does that mean… it does mean something? So maybe, it means, that it doesn’t mean anything.  It both means nothing, and everything.

That’s either very deep, or very stupid.

Probably both.

Hang on, calm down. Just think a little. Maybe it meant something. Maybe it didn’t . But you still have a fiancé. She’s waiting for you. You hope. No, stop, crazy talk, she’s waiting for you. You only proposed to her two months ago. And you said you’d come back. Only, you’re a month behind schedule. And you’re coming back with two rather attractive women.

I can see the headlines now: “Space Adventurer Ditches Bride-To-Be for Mother of 400.”

Getting a little ahead of yourself there, aren’t you? It was just a kiss. She is pretty cool though. And smart. And you’d be pretty much dead or drifting in space without her. That’s not a good enough reason to fall in love with her, though.

Oh, so it's love now, is it? Way to go to the extreme! This is typical of the way you jump to conclusions.

And another thing, why are you talking to yourself?!

THUMP THUMP THUMP

Hang on, there’s someone at the door.

Oh hello, 3.0, what can I –

“SHUT! UP!”

SLAM

I guess we've been a bit loud. I shouldn’t have shouted.

Don’t mention it, it’s ok. Though you do know you’re still talking to yourself?

Sorry.

That’s ok.

0130

Space Adventurer. I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment