Monday, September 24, 2012

159th Entry


April 2nd, 2037

1420

Dear Space Diary

Mary was pretty busy so I’ve left her to it. Mainly because she shouted at me when I went in the room. Maybe there’s still some tension there. Then again, she is pretty unidirectional when working.

Also it turns out the computer doesn’t have a mute button so I can’t turn off the stupid transmission incoming reminder. On the plus side, I cleverly deduced that if I plugged some earphones into the computer, it effectively blocks out the sound. So long as I don’t wear the headphones.

Looks like Mary and 3.0 aren’t the only engineers on this ship.

To celebrate, I played 10 games of solitaire straight. Lost all of them. Good thing I’m not a betting man, or I would have owed myself a lot of money.

Pretty tired. Guess I’ll take a nap. Don’t want to mess with my sleep tonight, so just a quick one. Hour or two maybe.

April 3rd, 2037

0045

Damn it.

Surprised they didn’t wake me when they were done though. Guess they didn’t have the heart to wake me. Or they tried to wake me but couldn’t. Or it never occurred to them to try and wake me. Or they prefer me when I’m asleep.

Wow, getting pretty depressing and low self-esteem there. Best think about something else before you start getting ridiculous.

I wonder if quarter to one is too early for breakfast. Ooh, I wonder if we have any eggs and –

Wait. What if they’re both… DEAD?

Yup, we’re in ridiculous territory.

Hang on though, what if they are? It could have happened while I was asleep. They could be lying in the space equivalent of a gutter right now, and I’d never know it. I better go check on them. I know I’m probably just being stupid, but I really should check.

Hmm, I wonder what the space equivalent of a gutter actually is?

Pluto, probably.

0051

They’re not asleep in their rooms. Unless they’ve suddenly decided to sleep in other rooms.

0124

Nope.

0127

Can’t find them anywhere. They’re not answering the radio. They should have been done hours ago.

Ok don’t panic. Where was the last time you saw them?

…The control room.

0131

“Oh hi. You didn’t bring coffee by any chance, did you?”

What are you still doing here?

“Well, we hit some complications. Wiring was frayed, couldn’t tape it, Needed to be replaced. Fortunately found some spares. 3.0 should be finishing it off as we speak.”

Where’d you get the wires?

“Supply cabinet. Found the list you’d made when we were looking for tape. Heaps in Cupboard 15.”

Why didn’t you ask me to help?

“We did. Many times. You ignored us. We’re still a little sore about that.”

“Yes, we are.”

I didn’t ignore you! I was asleep!

“I was yelling pretty loud by the end of it. I find it hard to believe that you couldn’t have – oh wait, the microphone is still off.”

No comments:

Post a Comment