Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Forty-Second Entry


March 11th, 2037

1030

<INCOMING TRANSMISSION>
__
LAST COMMUNICATION RECEIVED 16 HOURS AGO. PLEASE UPDATE.

HOW DID THE WHOLE TUBE THING GO? WE’RE ALL REALLY QUITE INTERESTED.

MIND YOU, THERE’S NOTHING REALLY GOOD ON TV.
__
<END TRANSMISSION>

1130

<INCOMING TRANSMISSION>
__
ALSO, BEFORE WE FORGET, THOSE MISSILES ARE QUITE POWERFUL. YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO FIRE THEM IN A SMALL, ENCLOSED SPACE.

JUST A FRIENDLY WARNING.
__
<END TRANSMISSION>

1215

Dear Space Diary.

So that was an impromptu bout of unconsciousness. Last thing I can remember is the tube I destroyed hurtling downwards towards the ship, then I blacked out.

Not only is it the last thing I can remember, but I’m fairly certain it’s going to stay with me for some time.

Credit where it’s due, I have to admit that NASA makes an extremely resilient spaceship. As far as I can tell from where I am, there’s nary a dent on the Zubrin after the tube hit it.

This makes sense when you consider that NASA still haven’t come up with a better landing strategy than “pick your landing site and hit it really hard.”

Where NASA do still need work, however, is their interiors. No, I’m not referring to the decor, although I will admit that white stopped being fashionable round about when they stopped making iPods. No, I’m specifically referring to the fact that very few pieces of furniture seem to be securely fastened.

This wouldn’t be a problem in my old ship. Mainly because there was nothing in it. There was a chair and the feeding tubes, both of which felt pretty secure.

The Zubrin, on the other hand, is a much more – for want of a better word – luxurious ship. Comfy chair, several cupboards, and even a table where Mary could eat her nutritional paste in comfort, if not delight.

All of which, incidentally, are currently pinned on top of me. I cannot even begin to move.

Also, Mary appears to be trying to eat my foot, but I don’t think that’s intentional, I think that’s just where she happened to roll in the confusion.

1225

Kicked Mary away. Feel a little bad about that for some reason, but having a 20 year old skull latched on to your foot is not conducive to calm, reasoned logic.

1230

Because of a rather action packed series of events, I haven’t eaten in about 24 hours. Getting pretty hungry. It’s all quietened down now, so it would be the perfect time for a snack, but I don’t think that’s going to be an option.

1330

I must be starving. The nutritional paste is starting to taste really delicious in my head.

I’m actually not that far from one of the tubes. Maybe if I stretch out my hand...

1335

No good. Just out of reach.

Another rumble from the rock pile. Maybe if I’m lucky it’ll shake this stuff off me.

1337

Mary’s rolled back and is now biting my elbow.

I’m hungry too, Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment