Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Twenty-Fourth Entry


March 6th, 2037

0700

Dear Space Diary.

After successfully pointing the ship in the right direction last night, I have spent the last 14 hours twiddling my thumbs. I could just blast off now, but feel I should confirm with NASA before I do, so they know what I’m up. It’s also worth asking them to double check my calculations as I really don’t want to end up a) In orbit, b) hitting a mountain,  c) in a black hole, or d) b, a, then c.

Another black hole. I’m already in a black hole.

I suppose I should be grateful that they’ve upgraded my computer so I can even move. And I am. But that’s countered by frustration that, upon moving my ship, I couldn’t do anything further as NASA had all gone home from the day.

I can understand why. Believe me; I’d love to work a 9-5 day. But that’s not exactly an option out here, so would it kill you guys to have someone around 24/7?

Oh well, they open in two hours.

0730

So very bored.

0800

Oh good, they’ve installed minesweeper on this thing. So there’s that.

0822

This is pretty fun.

0930

New high score! Yes!

1330

Just got an angry message from NASA asking why I hadn’t checked in yet. Whoops. On the plus side, if I ever get back to Earth I think I could turn professional.

NASA have confirmed that all systems are go for launch. They’ve taken this opportunity to advise me that they have only attempted an underground launch once in a test in 1979. But all ok, the charges were dropped.

Hmm.

They are however much more confident about this attempt, and have made some minor corrections to my figures to ensure I don’t reach escape velocity and exit the planet as well as the hole.

Launch in 2 hours.

1530

Here goes. Launching… now.

1532

Ow. Just bounced off the side of the hole.

1540

Ow.
Ow.
Ow.
Ow.
Ow.
Ow.
Ow.

1547

I’m out! I can see the surface!

1548

Um, NASA, I’m still going up.

1551

NASA!

1553

Ok, falling again, thank goodness.

1555

Wait.

1601

OW. Landed.

1605

I’m still on the surface! Success! Now all I need to do is sit here until NASA comes and gets me.

1630

Which is in 4 weeks.

1640

Ooh, they have solitaire on this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment