Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Thirtieth Entry


March 9th, 2037

1655

Dear Space Diary

I don’t wish to alarm anyone, but there is a bright light floating outside my ship.

Actually, I do wish to alarm. NASA, I am alarmed. You should be too.

It’s still dark outside, and the light is painfully bright, so I can’t see what’s causing it. It just appears to be a ball of light floating immediately in front of me.

Not moving. I don’t know if that’s more terrifying than moving, but I’m terrified either way.

Please advise, NASA. What do I do?

1710

Light still just floating there. I really wish it didn’t take 30 minutes to get a response back from NASA. They’re smart, intelligent and capable people. They got me into space, after all. They’ll think of something.

1730

NASA suggested I throw a rock at it.

1735

I don’t think NASA are taking me seriously. The first possible encounter with alien life in… well, ever, and their advice is throw a rock at it. Another suggestion please, NASA.

I suppose I should be just happy they’re even in the office after 5:00pm.

1810

Oh. They’re having a party. Also the radio technician is possibly drunk. His last message ended somewhat abruptly. I think he just fell off his chair.

Looks like I’m on my own.

1815

The light has not moved throughout any of this. As far as I can tell it’s just going to stay there outstaring me.

Maybe it’ll go away when it’s light again. When’s that?

1820

13 hours. Great.

1840

Still just sitting there. Really quite unsettling. Maybe I should flash the lights at it. What’s the worst that could happen?

Well, it could eat me and use my skin as a sock puppet.

Yup, that’s pretty much the worst case scenario. I hate sock puppets.

Well, here goes nothing.

Flash.

Flash.

Flash.

1842

Nothing.

1845

Hang on, it just blinked at me. Three times.

Flash.

Flash.

1847

And it flashed at me again! Two times this time.

It’s copying me.

1848

What happens if I turn my lights off?

1850

Blast, just knocked Mr Rock off the dashboard. There, got him.

Hang on, the light just moved. When I leant over to get Mr Rock, it moved left at the same time. And now it’s back in the centre again. Is it following me?

1852

I waved Mr Rock around experimentally. The light followed my hand wherever it went.

Or…

1855

This is weird. I put Mr Rock down and waved my hand around. Nothing.

It’s not following me, it’s following Mr Rock.

…Why?

I mean, he’s neat, but… why?

This is freaking me out. You want him, you stupid light? You can have him.

Sorry, Mr Rock.

1900

Opened the door and threw Mr Rock behind the light. Off it went after him. Yes! At last it’s gone.

1905

Just realised I followed NASA’s advice after all… Oh, it’s back.

1906

THUNK

1907

And it just threw Mr Rock at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment