Thursday, January 12, 2012

Thirty-First Entry


March 9th, 2037

1910

Dear Space Diary

There is a disembodied light floating outside my spaceship that just threw a rock with a face on it at me.

This is a new experience for me.

The light is just sitting there now. I don’t know if it’s reacting purely to detected movement or if it’s some kind of alien litter patrol, but either way I’m more than a little freaked out.

I feel kind of bad for Mr Rock though. He’s currently lying forlornly near the ship where he bounced off the window after the light threw him back. I can just seem him out of the corner of the window, judging me.

Damn it, I better go get him.

1915

Opened the door and stepped out. Standing thirty centimetres away from Mr Rock.

Argh! The light just moved forward.

1916

Now standing about five metres away from Mr Rock. The light has stopped and gone back to its original position. It seems to be waiting for something.

I shouldn’t be out here for too long, I haven’t decontaminated yet.

Freaky light be damned, I’ll just grab Mr Rock and jump back inside.

1918

Got Mr Rock. The light jumped forward again but stopped right in front of me. It’s waiting again.

I should get inside, but… hmm.

I have an idea.

1919

Threw Mr Rock away. Sorry Mr Rock.

Off goes the light.

1920

It’s back! And it’s got – Ow!

It threw Mr Rock at my head. I don’t think it meant to, though. I think it’s just extremely accurate.

Another throw.

1922

And back again. This time I managed to catch Mr Rock before we came face to face, as it were.

Is it… playing fetch with me? Is the first alien life humanity has ever met the incandescent equivalent of a golden retriever?

It’s possible I guess. But who knows on what level this thing works. It could be functioning on completely separate logic and methods and communication. Maybe we just danced, who knows.

1923

Ok, this is all very interesting, but I have to get back inside the ship. Sorry, Lightdog, not dying of lead poisoning wins.

1925

Back inside.

Lightdog still waiting.

1927

I can’t play fetch with you. Not for another six hours. Go away.

1945

Lightdog has moved closer a couple of times, before retreating back to its original spot and waiting. If it had a tail I honestly swear it’d be wagging it.

If only it would… oh, it’s gone.

1947

Back again.

And now it’s run away again. Only it’s stopped in the distance, before coming back.

1950

It keeps going away and coming back.

I think it wants me to follow it.

Sorry, Lightdog. I’m stuck inside this ship for the next six hours. And even if I could, I’m don’t want to follow an alien light. Ok?

1953

I think it understood. It’s headed off behind me.

Should get some… HEY!

What are you -?

1955

PUT ME DOWN!

No comments:

Post a Comment