Monday, January 9, 2012

Twenty-Eighth Entry


March 9th, 2037

0015

Dear Space Diary

Curse this infernal sun!

Not our sun. I love our sun. I miss our sun. The sun I’m referring to in this particular case is the one that Splat is currently orbiting around.

As sun’s go, I don’t especially mind it, for the most part.  It’s warm, but not boiling, it makes it easier to see things during the day, and it has yet to explode and engulf this planet in a flaming ball of annihilation.

Not that I consider that particularly likely, but you know, covering all options.

The key issue I have at this point is the day part. They last 48 hours out here.

And I’m trying. To sleep.

Anyone who paid attention in school will almost certainly tell me that it’s nothing to do with the sun at all and is in fact due to the speed that Splat is rotating on its Axis.

Which is very true, but “Curse this infernal rotation” didn’t have the same ring to it, and “Curse the infernal Axis” sounded too much like a quote from a World War II movie.

Also, I’m tired, so cut me some slack. Going to try and sleep again.

0130

Sigh.

0200

That reflection is still flashing away in the distance. I could go out and check it out now. No. Too Tired.

Hmm. Could have sworn it was over to my right though. Seems straight ahead now.

Probably just the rock glaring in the sun. It’d be afternoon now, relatively speaking.

Speaking of rocks…

0220

I’m no geologist, but this rock appears very… rocky. And extremely dull. Doesn’t really look like anything, apart from a rock. Just a dull misshapen blob.

These holes on the front do kind of look like eyes though.

I think I’ve got a marker here somewhere.

0300

The rock now has a face.

0310

Man I’m tired.

0330

Mr Rock, as I’ve taken to calling him, is sitting on the console staring at me. In an odd kind of way, he’s kind of comforting. Good to have a pet. Especially as he doesn’t require walking, feeding, or cleaning. He just kind of sits there.

0400

I love you, Mr Rock.

Ok, this is getting weird.

0430

Strange, reflection is on the left now. Why is it moving? Mind you, it’s all getting a bit hazy. I desperately need some sleep.

0450

The sun’s going down! Night time at last!

0600

Sure taking it’s time though.

0700

Getting dark. So tired. Going to try and drop off now. Any… minute…

1000

<INCOMING TRANSMISSION>
__

WHY HAVEN’T YOU CHECKED IN YET? PLEASE RESPOND.

1030

HAVE READ YOUR REPORTS. IN FUTURE PLEASE ENSURE SLEEP HOURS CORRESPOND WITH NASA HOURS OF OPERATION.

1100

ALSO, IN FUTURE PLEASE REFRAIN FROM NAMING, DRAWING FACES, OR OTHERWISE DEFACING OR ANTHROPOMORPHISING OFFICIAL NASA TEST MATERIALS.

WE WANT A NEW ROCK. GET ONE.
__
<END TRANSMISSION>

1230

…wow. I was really tired last night.

Mr Rock is pretty cool, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment