Sunday, January 8, 2012

Twenty-Seventh Entry


March 8th, 2037

1655

Dear Space Diary.

NASA have just helpfully reminded me that it’s been six hours since I last went outside, and I go can go out and get that rock sample for them now.  They’re about to go home for the day, but that’s ok, I can tell them all about it in the morning. How very kind of them.

I should also check out that reflection if I have the time.

It’s getting on evening Earth time, but sun wise it appears to be late morning. According to the data NASA sent through about Splat (Note to self: Find better name for planet than Splat), the planet spins about half as slow as Earth, meaning one day here goes for roughly 48 hours. Which is probably going to play havoc with my sleep tonight.

If you’re looking for things to add to the next model, some curtains wouldn’t go amiss.

Also a minibar, but let’s stick to the practical suggestions.

1705

Put it off for long enough, time to go.

1710

I’m outside. Nowhere near as cold this time. Sun a little higher. Ground is still pink and getting brighter as more sun hits it.

The air still smells like turnips.

1712

I should clarify that I dislike turnips.

Ok, let’s find a rock, then.

1713

Found one. Don’t know if it’s the type of rock they’re after, but as they didn’t say anything to me other than “Get us a rock,” this one fits the criteria I’ve been given.

1714

Have thrown the rock at the space craft.

1715

Rock went rather father than expected. Stupid low gravity.

Better go and get it.

1717

Have put – not thrown – rock inside spacecraft.

Right, after all that, I’ve… 23 minutes of outdoors time left. Can probably make it to where I saw the reflection and back in time if I hurry.

1720

I think it was this way. There’s not really a lot of defining features, it’s all just mounds of pink crumbly rock. But I think it was just beyond this hill up ahead of me.

1724

This looks like the spot. Nothing here though. The rock doesn’t even look particularly shiny. Strange.

1730

Nothing. Nothing at all. Found another good rock though. Maybe it’s worth taking this one instead.

Nah.

1731

Time to head back.

1733

I should have got that rock, it’s definitely better than the other one. Better hurry though.

1736

Got it. Not much time.

1740

Back inside, 30 seconds to spare. Have put the rock in the glove compartment for now. Not that this is an exact science, but I’m more than happy to err on the side of caution when it comes to not being irreparably poisoned.

Stuck in here for six hours now. Just me and the rock.

Oh, and I got rid of the second rock. The first one was way better.

1745

Odd that I couldn’t find the reflection.

You’d think… Oh.

It was the other direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment