Sunday, February 19, 2012

Interlude: The Fall Of The Zubrin: Part 2


TRANSMISSION CONTINUES:

November 3rdst – 2015

My name is Maria Harrison, Captain of the Zubrin, and this is my story.

Note to self – Find better intro. I sound like I’m about to try and sell you something.

Been in Space for more than a whole week now! I passed the moon a few days ago. We flew quite close. I could see all the craters and canyons really clearly. I was kind of hoping I’d see the original moon landing site, but either we didn’t fly near it, or there’s nothing left to see.

But I saw the moon! It was all big and grey, and… and pretty dull if I was going to be honest. But it’s still a monumental moment for science. Yay for Science!

__

Wow, space is boring. There’s nothing to do here. The Zubrin’s pretty spacious, so I can at least stretch my legs in zero gravity a little. NASA told me to do a whole heap of exercises to do to make sure my muscles don’t wear out without gravity.

I should probably actually do them one of these days.

Well, there’s no time like the present!

__

Ouch. The exercises went well, but I got all caught up in the moment and tried to do a push up. Pushed up so far I whacked my head on the ceiling. Ouch.

Now my head hurts. Do we have any painkillers on this ship?

__

Found some in the food cupboard. Why would they put it in the food cupboard? I’ll put them in the supply cupboard instead.

__

Wow, those work fast. I guess they must…

__

…Be pretty strong sedatives.

Wait a moment; did I fall asleep during that sentence? I think I did. Wow. Strong stuff.  On the bright side, headache gone!

On the down side, Tuesday gone…

Oh well, back to bed! Night, Universe.

November 4th – 2015

Doing my exercises again. Didn’t hit my head this time (no push ups!) But whenever I lunge, sideways, I go into a spin. When I spin, I get dizzy. When I get dizzy, I throw up.

That really doesn’t strike me as a good idea up here. I’ll try strapping myself into the seat next time.

__

NASA have kindly pointed me to a file on the computer marked “Space Exercise Program”. No more vomiting or hitting my head! Can’t wait!

__

…I’ll do them later.

November 5th – 2015

Ok I’m seriously starting to get bored. There’s a pretty good library on the ship, but I’m not a huge reader and I keep losing my place. Whenever I put the book down to go get a bookmark it floats away! Mind you, so does the bookmark.

Still, 9 days in space. And Mars is the next thing after the moon, isn’t it? So I must be nearly there.

Strange that I can’t see it though. How long does it take to get to Mars, NASA?

__

18 MONTHS?!!!

__

I’m going to need more books.

No comments:

Post a Comment