Sunday, February 12, 2012

Fiftieth Entry


March 11th, 2037

0010

Dear Space Diary.

With NASA still avoiding me, and no immediate end to the tube in sight, I may as well get some sleep.

0015

I’m not sure I’ll be able to sleep though, with everything that’s happened. Sleep seems like the last thing -

1043

On the whole it was probably just as well I didn’t finish that sentence. Less embarrassing that way.

Just woke up, evidently I needed the rest.

And we’ve landed, too. I don’t know how long we’ve been sitting here, but Lightdog is gone and the Zubrin is grounded once again.

Or… hmm. Concreted.

That’s a little weird. But there’s concrete out there. At least it looks like it. Smooth and grey, with just the slightest hint of pink, suggesting that, while out of place, it was at least made from local materials.

Seems to have crumbled around the Zubrin, whatever it is. Maybe we hit the ground hard. Is that what woke me? I don’t think so.

I better take a look outside.

1047

Space suit on. Here we go.

1050

In a word: Weird.

In two words: Really weird.

The tube exits into a large but smaller than I was expecting room. No other tubes exit out here so presumably there’s a room for each one of the hundreds of other tubes around here somewhere. Presuming they all go to the same place anyway.

On the wall opposite the tube is a massive (and I mean massive) spinning device that must create the air flow into the room. It’s grilled, fortunately, so even I had been sucked into the tube I fortunately would not have been dismembered.

Probably still would have gone splat though.

The floor does indeed look like concrete, but something’s wrong with it. It’s so fragile it’s literally crumbling under my foot, almost like sand. Pinkish, concrete like sand.

The ship’s really done a number on it too. Fortunately there’s something harder underneath, and I’m not about to sink into it.

Because I really don’t feel like doing that.

To my left is a set of very large sliding doors. To my right is a much smaller access door, but no handle I can see so presumably it slides open as well.

Which it’s doing now. Crap! Better hide.

But the room is completely empty except for me, the Zubrin, and whatever is about to join us.

1052

Hiding behind the Zubrin. Feeling extremely silly.

Door’s opened.

…It’s a Lightdog.

Different though. The one’s I’ve met so far are yellow. This one is blue.

It’s floating across the room. Not heading towards me though, just hugging the wall.

1054

It’s reached the corner.

1059

Seems to be just combing the floor slowly. Not sure why. Maybe it really likes floors. It’s an alien. Who knows?

1103

I’m sure it must have seen me by now. I guess blue lightdogs don’t have sensors.

Either that or I’m really uninteresting. Either/or, I suppose.

1106

That’s impressive. It’s just reached my footprints, and a blue beam shot out of it. It’s repairing the floor as it passes over it. Like I never even walked there.

1110

Wonder what it’s going to do, when it gets to the… oh.

“No sensors” was right. It calmly, slowly, and methodically scanned the floor, ploughed straight into the Zubrin, and crashed to the floor.

That was actually somewhat hilarious.

Well, they’re machines. The light is gone, so I think it’s broken. There’s a small cylindrical little device that floats in the middle of all that light. Can’t see a propulsion device, but given the whole ball of light, tractor beams, cutting torches and magic floor cleaner, I’m willing to accept I don’t exactly know how they work.

Bit scared to pick it up, so it can just sit there for now, looking stupid.

Hmm, the door’s still open. Might take a look outside.

 1115

Oh. My. God.

It’s a city.

A pink city.

Buildings are stretching underneath a huge clear bubble as far as I can see. They’re all exactly the same height, which is to say, tall. I can’t believe NASA didn’t spot this on their scans.

Actually, how DID NASA not spot this on their scans?

1122

Taking a closer look. The buildings are actually pretty similar to ours. No weird alien glass or physics defying sculptures here. Just giant uniform slabs of pinky concrete with windows in them.

To be honest, I feel a little ripped off.

No aliens around. Or indeed living things of any kind. Plenty of lightdogs, but I’m not sure they count anymore. Mostly blue ones, mostly repairing and cleaning, so I guess they’re the maintenance ones, with yellow being waste processing, or something.


1125

This is a ghost town. I’ve peeked in a couple of buildings, but there’s nobody there. Just empty concrete rooms.

Unless…

… Maybe the aliens are INVISIBLE!

I don’t know why I didn’t think of that before! There could be thousands of them around me right this second!

Keep calm, keep calm. Don’t panic.

1126

AAAAAARRRGGGGGGGHHHH!!!

THUMP.

Ow.

Ok, may have panicked just a little bit. Ran straight into the side of building.

And through.  There is now a crumbly me-shaped hole in the wall. Further to that, the floor is crumbling under me.

These buildings are made of the same weak-ass concrete as the floors. I don’t get it, why would you a tower out of such a weak, unstable material.

Speaking of unstable, what’s that rumbling sound?

Oh.

Crap.

Get out, get out, get out!

1129

Phew. Made it out and back to the door I came in by. The building is collapsing, sending dust everywhere. I’m going to hide out in the Zubrin until things settle. Strongest thing here it seems.

1131

Heading back to the ship. That lightdog is still broken, so I think it’s busted itself good and proper.

Hang on, there’s something on the side here.

1133


1135


1137

…WHAT?!!?

“Property of NASA.”

No comments:

Post a Comment