Thursday, February 23, 2012

Interlude: The Fall Of The Zubrin - Part 6


TRANSMISSION CONTINUES:

September 22nd – 2016

My name is Maria Harrison, Captain of the Zubrin, and I’m really quite terrified.

Didn’t sleep last night. Couldn’t stop thinking about what we’re going to do today. Or rather, what NASA are going to do today. I’m not a pilot or an engineer, so NASA will be controlling the ship throughout the operation via remote control from Earth. All I have to do is sit and wait.

While the ship I’m trapped inside gets piloted TOWARDS an asteroid.

So, yeah! Little freaked.

__

Ok, asteroid is close. Around now it will start pulling the ship in naturally.

Gah! Sorry, the rockets just fired, caught me by surprise. Guess NASA have started their work.

Little warning would be great next time, thanks guys.

__

This is kind of interesting actually, at least if you can look past the abject terror. Which I’m working on.

There are six rockets on the outside of the ship. Two big ones at the back, one at the front, and three forming a triangle in the middle. I know this, because, to pilot the ship, NASA have dialled into the ship’s computer, so I can see which buttons they’re pressing to fire them. So, you fire this one here, and then the ship moves around here…

Oh, a message from NASA.

“Ship in position.”

Yay!

“About to deploy reprogrammed processing units.”

Double yay!

“Rear doors opening in 30 seconds. Space suit recommended.”

Triple… AAAAARGGH!
Oh no, oh no, oh no, got to get the space suit ready, don’t want to eat vacuum and explode.

Do people actually… STOP THINKING! WEAR SPACESUIT!

__

Phew. Suit on, oxygen activated.

The doors are open.

…Wow. So… I’m in Space. Kind of.

The five units I reprogrammed have illuminated themselves, they look like giant green balls of light now. The effect is not displeasing.

They’re detaching themselves and floating down towards the asteroid. There, they’ll start dismantling it into a more harmless size collection of rocks that’ll either redirect thanks to changing mass, or burn up in Earth’s atmosphere before they hit the ground.

One, two, three, floating down. And there’s the 4th.

Hang on, the 5th one is stuck. It can’t get out.

…Well, I AM in a spacesuit. Why shouldn’t I free it?

Careful, careful… ah here, it’s caught on this handle… got it!

Be free, green light thingy!

…And off it goes. Mission complete, the doors are closing.

__

Ok, NASA, they’re out. Time to blast off!

__

I notice a distinct lack of blast off. Why aren’t we moving?

Oh no. Message from NASA, the remote control has stopped working. They can’t pilot me out! I’m going to crash!

…You know what, stuff that. Give me manual control.

__

No arguing with me, NASA. MANUAL CONTROL, HOW?

__

Thank you. Ok, no time to calculate thrust or anything. Let’s just hit the button that says “FULL POWER.”

__

It’s not working. We’re still being pulled in.

…hang on, I think… yes! We’re moving! Away we go.

WOOOO!!! WE DID IT! WE ESCAPED! WE SAVED THE HUMAN RACE! AND I HAVEN’T EAVEN HAD BREAKFAST YET!!!

I’m like, all kinds of awesome.

__

Well, that was tough, but a job well done NASA.

…NASA?

NASA why is that red light flashing?
__

RECORDS CORRUPTED, SEARCHING FOR NEXT VIEWABLE ENTRY.

SEARCHING.

SEARCHING.

LOCATED. 1 ENTRY. TRANSMITTING

September 22nd – 2021

My name is Maria Harrison, Captain of the Zubrin, and this is my final entry.

Five years today since we saved Earth.

Yay.

Also five years since, in a desperate attempt to save myself from crashing into an asteroid, I burnt up the last of the fuel. Which we needed to, well, to slow down.

So, I missed Mars. I missed most of the solar system.

I missed home.

NASA estimate that I’ll at my speed and course, I will hit another planet. In about 15 years.

They even think it might be liveable. And they promise they’re going to work out a way to get me home.

But, the question that I’ve been asking myself over and over is: If I only had enough fuel to slow down on approach to Mars, how was I going to get home in the first place?

I don’t think I was ever going home, NASA.

So, I may survive this. I don’t know. But, either way, I’m done talking to you, NASA. This will be the last time we speak.

My name is Maria Harrison.

Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment