Monday, February 13, 2012

Interlude: The Fall Of The Zubrin: Part 1


REPAIRING CORRUPTED FILES. PLEAE STAND BY. PLEASE STAND BY.

COMPLETE. TRANSMITTING NOW:

October 24th – 2015

My name is Maria Harrison, Captain of the Zubrin, and this is my story.

…does that sound too pretentious? I hope not.

Call me Mary.

Launching today! We’re set to launch in good weather, though I guess that only applies until I leave the atmosphere. Is there weather in space? There are radiation showers. Meteor showers. Solar showers.

Space seems to have a lot of showers.

Actually I haven’t had a shower yet, so I might continue this in just a moment if that’s ok.

__

Gosh, this is so exciting! What a great honour. I’m the first person to ever set foot on Mars. I’m going to be, that is, we haven’t actually got there yet. And I’m the first woman to leave Earth’s orbit, too. Two birds, one stone! Or is it, two milestones, and one bird?

How I hate that term. I’m not a bird!

I’ve never been more excited. I can’t believe NASA picked me. There were so many applicants, and I thought my lack of family or medical history (Does the shoebox they found me in count as family?) would rule me out automatically. There’s generally a lot that can rule you out, so the other hopefuls told me. Diabetes? You’re out. Low immune? Strike two.

I didn’t see Claustrophobia on the list. What’s worse in space?  Claustrophobia or Agoraphobia?

Wow. I really am going to another planet. I so want to do this properly for NASA.

Speaking of, that’s them now.

__

I’m a bit embarrassed. NASA just told me off for using official logs like a diary. I didn’t realise they were monitoring these in real time! I’m sorry.

I guess I’m lucky I didn’t start the entry with Dear Diary, or something.

__

NASA felt bad about telling me off. I can write whatever I’d like, given they need as much information as possible. They’ve been SO kind. I’ve never met a more considerate and efficient organisation.

It’s a bit daunting, though, to think that this might be read by millions of people, as the story of Mary, the first person on Mars! I’ll make sure to write everything down. It’ll be a scintillating page turner I’m sure, full of nonstop excitement!

__

We don’t launch for another six hours. Hmm.

Oh, neat! They’ve got Solitaire on the computer.

__

NASA messaged me, to congratulate me on my high score. They’re so sweet. They did ask if I could do an inventory once I’m finished though, IF I wouldn’t mind.

Of course I wouldn’t mind! Silly NASA.

__

Everything’s here on the list. Two spacesuits, Building supplies, an EVA vehicle, and 100 processing units. I’m not sure what they’re for. Do I need instructions on the processing units, NASA?

__

No, it’s all automatic, they’ve told me. Excellent! One less thing to worry about.

I’m a little hungry. Might eat.

__

Wow, this nutritional paste is delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment