Monday, February 20, 2012

Interlude: The Fall Of The Zubrin - Part 3


TRANSMISSION CONTINUES:

December 24th – 2015

My name is Maria Harrison, Captain of the Zubrin, and I am so bored.

Two months in space today. Can you believe it? I’m sorry I haven’t written more, NASA, but there’s really been nothing to say. It’s just… space, you know? And there’s an awful lot of it out there.

Not in here, though. I thought this ship was pretty big, but after two months stuck in here it’s starting to feel pretty small. Who’d have thought I’d have run out of space… in space?

…hehehe.

I’ve been doing my stretches, promise, and keeping an eye on the instruments. Everything’s working perfectly. There was a minor scare when the fuel gauge suddenly dropped to empty, but it went back to half-full almost straight away, so must have just been a glitch of some kind.

Mind, we haven’t fired the rockets in about 6 weeks. NASA was explaining to me how in order to save on fuel they simply accelerate to full speed, cut the engines, and then I just coast all the way to Mars, until about two thirds of the way there, when they start to apply the brakes.

Which, since rockets don’t have… I don’t know, space wheels or something… means firing the rockets in the other direction.

So they burn a lot of fuel at the start of the trip, and the end of the trip, but none in the middle, apart from the occasional course correction. Which is all really fascinating!

However, I am stuck in this space ship for another 16 months, so I don’t think it’s quite enough fascinating to go round.

Also, it’s Christmas tomorrow. Do I get a present NASA? I guess not. It’d be pretty hard to get a present all the way out here.

I don’t have a chimney for one thing.
__

December 25th – 2015

I wish me a Merry Christmas, I wish me a Merry Christmas…

Hmm, no.

So have myself, a merry little Christmas…

No.

Darn it. There really are no songs for Christmas on your own. How depressing. Guess I’d better get used to it, though on the… ooh, there’s a message from NASA.

__

“Cupboard 23?” What off Earth does that mean? Do we even have 23 cupboards?

__

Oh my goodness. Yes we do. It was hidden behind the spacesuit rack! Had to unbolt the rack to get to it, remind me to fix that later, wouldn’t want it falling on me or anything.

And inside, there’s Christmas decorations!!! I love you, NASA.

__

Place is looking really festive now. I have streamers billowing in zero grav. I’m wearing a Santa hat (or at least I would be if it didn’t keep floating off), and while I understand they couldn’t get me a real tree, they included a poster of a tree. And the nutritional paste… well, the nutritional paste is delicious.

What a lovely way to spend Christmas Day. Thank you NASA!

December 26th – 2015

…Bored again.

No comments:

Post a Comment