Sunday, February 26, 2012

Fifty-First Entry


March 11th, 2037

1600

Dear Space Diary

Inside the Zubrin. Haven’t gone back to the city, but not much choice in the matter since there’s currently the remains of a giant, pink building blocking the door. Have been reading through Mary’s logs. NASA have been trying to message me for the past few hours but I’ve been ignoring them.

They can wait until I’ve finished reading.

1630

Little overwhelmed by what I’ve discovered. About Mary. About the Lightd… processing units. About the Zubrin and its failed mission. About their plan to build a giant city.

So what I saw out there was not in fact, final, clinching evidence of alien life on another planet. It was, in fact, final, clinching proof that NASA can’t aim for beans.

I suppose that’s not quite fair, the mission did not end as intended. And arguably they did save the entire human race. That’s got to be worth a few brownie points.

Seems weird they never, well, told anyone. If I just saved everyone’s lives, I sure as hell would be telling people. I’d hold press conferences, I’d do the university lecture circuit, I’d endorse a range of hair care products.

And yet, the first I’ve heard of it, the first that ANYONE outside NASA has heard of it is 20 years later. And only because I tripped over it.

And then, 20 years later, another mission (conveniently with a faster than light drive) has a similar overshoot of target, and manages to land EXACTLY on the planet where their previously lost ship ended up.

Probability: 1, NASA’s safety record: 0.

So, something’s going on. Not entirely sure what yet, but it’s something.

The city’s pretty impressive, though. They can’t have been here for more than 1-2 years, I would think, given the whole “Travel through space at slower the speed of light” thing. And that city was huge.

And also rather prone to falling over it seems. Apparently Splat doesn’t provide as good building materials as Mars does. Either that or the processing units are pretty inept.

Neither would surprise me.

1635

You know what? Screw it. They’re Lightdogs. Processing Units sounds so boring.

I’ve been checking out the hold in the back. The Lightdogs are all gone, I’m guessing they deployed automatically once the Zubrin “landed.” In the same way that dynamite “spreads out a little.”

So far I’ve seen three differently programmed Lightdogs. Yellows seem to all about fetching resources. Blues seem to be about building and repairing. Greens are all about the destruction, but I’m guessing that was a one off reprogram.

I wonder what else I’ll… just trod on something.

1637

It’s a USB device. This must be what Mary used to program the Greens. Hmm.

Probably shouldn’t leave it lying around. I’ll pocket it for now.

Now, time for answers, NASA. You’ve got some explaining to do!

<INCOMING TRANSMISSION>

__

HAVE BEEN MONITORING YOUR LOGS. WE’VE GOT SOME EXPLAINING TO DO.

__

<TRANSMISSION ENDS>

1638

…Oh.

Er, good!

No comments:

Post a Comment