Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Forty-Seventh Entry


March 10th, 2037

1850

Dear Space Diary.

What off Earth?

Yesterday I saw Mr Rock, inside my space craft, get vacuumed up by an alien death tube.

Yet here he is, sitting outside the Zubrin with a smug, stupid smile on his face.

Admittedly, I drew the smile with a permanent marker, so it’s kind of my fault if he looks unnecessary smug.

But this doesn’t answer the main question. How did he escape? How did he get here? And more importantly, why?

…Mr Rock, are you alive? Have I in fact discovered the first silicon based life form in existence, only to draw a smiley face on it? Or am I just being paranoid, and there’s some other reason that a lifeless rock could disappear only to return?

Am I in the presence of a space magician?

1852

Mr Rock, if you’re alive: do something.

Wait, that’s not fair. Who says life has to function the same way that life on Earth does?  What if inactivity is the norm for rock based life forms?

1854

Mr Rock, if you’re alive: stay completely still.

1900

…That proves nothing.

1903

Ok, you’re freaking me out, Mr Rock. I’m going outside until I decide what to do with you.

1905

THUMP.

1906

Opened the door. Nobody. Mr Rock is sitting there, though he’s moved slightly. Weeeeiird.

Stop that, Mr Rock.

1908

THUMP. THUMP.

1909

I said stop it!

Ok, get a grip. You’re currently yelling at a rock to stop annoying you. Think about this for a moment.

Hmm.

1910

THUMP.

Right, that’s it!

1912

Opened the door. Mr Rock is gone.

But instead, there’s a Lightdog.

1915

Who isn’t doing anything.

1917

Look, what do you want?

1919

Forget this. I’m going insi –

THUMP

1925

Well, it was Mr Rock who was making that noise. But it wasn’t his fault.

Lightdog appears to have been throwing him at the door. I know this, because he was a little too quick this time and threw it before I’d actually closed the door.

Something I’ve also discovered: Mr Rock packs quite a punch. He bounced off and landed outside, so I shut the door before Lightdog could get in another throw.

There were some instant ice packs in the cabinet, they’re helping keep the swelling down, but it’s sure going to smart in the morning.

Speaking of, I should get some sleep. I have to figure out how to find my ship in the morning, and I have no idea how.

A good night’s…

THUMP.

…sleep’ll…

THUMP.

…make all…

THUMP.
.
…the difference.

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP.

Ok, that’s enough! Stop it Lightdog! Bad Lightdog.

1927

Opened the door. Mr Rock lying near a couple of fresh dents in the door. Grabbed him. Try throwing him now.

Lightdog doesn’t have a face, but if it did I hope it’d have the decency to look sheepish. What are you going to do, steal me again?

1929

…That wasn’t a challenge, you know.

Put. Me. Down.

No comments:

Post a Comment