Friday, June 8, 2012

114th Entry


March 21st, 2037

1010

Dear Space Diary

…I’m not sure I quite follow.

“It seemed a simple enough statement. The cloning facility in the pit belongs to me.”

Ok. I have a follow up question if that’s ok.

“Go for it.”

WHAT?!

“I rebuilt the facility.”

But they trapped you in a facility for over a year. You were imprisoned and they farmed you for DNA! And you destroyed the facility, killing everyone inside and making sure nothing remained. Why off Earth would you rebuild something like that?!

“Look, if you’d wiped out a facility and killed everyone inside, leaving a large pile of rubble and no survivors, what would you have lots of?”

I don’t know… kidneys?

“Guilt, you idiot. I have lots of guilt.”

Oh.

“So… After I saw you, and after I realised you could get me home, I reprogrammed the lightdogs, and I sent them far away from me to rebuild. Then the new clones could come back to the city and live happily in peace, and I could never see them again. Everybody wins.”

In a manner of speaking. But, I can’t help but notice that you are walking around happily and well and not, you know, trapped in an evil lab being cloned.

“I may have made some modifications to the system.”

Such as?

“Not being trapped in an evil lab being cloned. I added a little extra to the lightdogs’ programming. They’re set up to work from a pre-existing supply of DNA that I’ve donated.”

Donated?

“I gave blood.”

Eww.

“The beauty of it is, once the supply runs out, they’ll revert to their existing programming and, not finding a test subject, simply shut down. Thus, we have a controlled population of clones that get to live and be happy, and the facility simply shuts itself down. Easy!”

Yeah, easy. But, um, tell me Mary, what would happen if hypothetically, they found another test subject?

“…What did you do?”

Me? I didn’t do anything!

“I don’t believe you. Prove it.”

1047

Mary, I’d like you to meet… Mary.

“Hi.”

“Hi.”

“You look a lot like me.”

“I bet you say that to all the girls.”

“Less arms, of course, and you’re right leg is a little hilarious.”

“It hasn’t finished regrowing! Cut me some slack.”

1100

Going for a walk. Leaving the two Marys to get acquainted. Not sure where I should go…

“So are you just going to float in that tank all day?”

“I’d be out sooner if you could lend me a hand.”

Darn it, can still hear them. Need to go further.

1110

Can’t hear them anymore. Excellent.

Mary 2.0 has regrown considerably, fortunately for her. Still a ways to go but her body and most of her legs and the starts of her arms are there. It’s a weird looking process.  It looks like she’s melting in reverse.

The facility is pretty quiet. The Marys just float in their tanks. A bit of peace at –

“You’re back!”

…last.

No comments:

Post a Comment