Tuesday, June 12, 2012

116th Entry


March 21st, 2037

1120

Dear Space Diary

Left Mary 3.0 to decide whether she’s in love with me or not. I’m heading back downstairs to see what Mary wants to do about the facility.

Feel bad for her. 3.0, that is. She’s had literally closed off existence, and I do hope that she (and the rest of them) are able to lead something approaching a normal life after we’ve gone. The city is ready for them. Are they ready, though?

Also, if she is in love with me, I guess I kind of broke her heart. I’ve never done that before.

Great, now I have guilt. Well, more guilt. Not sure there was anything else that could be done, though. I can’t stay here.

…Could I stay here?

1122

It bears thinking about. I’ve never considered it before. Literally never thought it was something to consider. I was always going to be rescued. Either by NASA, by myself, and now by Mary. Not once did I think of staying. Could I? I’ve left so much back on Earth. My work, my friends. Her.

But that was months ago. Two months, 7 days, to be precise. In a way, I’ve already given my old life up as lost several times. And this place isn’t so bad. Sure it’s pink, and sure it’s nearly killed me a couple of times, but it has its charms, doesn’t it?

Maybe I could make a new life here.

1123

Who am I kidding, I HATE it here!

1125

Kind of uplifting to discover where your true home is. If only because your current home sucks.

Come on Mary, it’s time to go home!

…Mary, why are the lightdogs pinning you to that wall?

“Oh that’s easy. I haven’t decided how I’m going to kill her yet.”

…2.0, we can talk about this.

“We can! There’s so many choices. I could remove her helmet and leave her to die of lead poisoning. Or, I could get all the lightdogs to run off in different directions all at once! Or I could even find a really, really large rock,and –“

I mean we could talk about why you shouldn’t kill her.

“Oh. Well that’s way more boring.”

Yes. But way more necessary.

“Oh, whatever, fine. I won’t kill her. You spoil everything you know that.”

Great. Thank you.

“Yes, thank you, Mary.”

“You’re welcome.”

1130

…so are you going to release her?

“Oh I never said that.”

Still, I think you should. I know you think Mary’s responsible for killing off the other clones –

“But I am responsible.”

You’re not helping.

“She is responsible.”

Ok fine! She’s responsible! But it was accidental! And she’s sorry. Say sorry, Mary.

“Sorry.”

See? She’s sorry. So, let her go.

“…You’re sorry?”

“I am. It was never my intention to kill them. But I had to escape. I was horrified. That’s why I rebuilt this place.”

“…YOU TRAPPED ME IN HERE?”

Mary, I think that could be considered a step backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment