Thursday, June 14, 2012

118th Entry


March 21st, 2037

1305

Dear Space Diary

Mary is working hard at deactivating the cloning facility.

I’m sitting around doing nothing.

1315

Starting to feel guilty about not helping.

1320

Guilt increasing.

1325

Guilt’s getting pretty uncomfortable now.

1327

I really should be helping. Surely there’s something I can do to help her.

I should go check.

1329

Hey, Mary –

“What are you doing here? Get out of the way!”

CRASH

“Oh. Fantastic. Thanks for that.”

1336

Mary is working hard at deactivating the cloning facility.

I’m sitting around doing nothing.

1400

My boredom intensifies.

“Well you should be doing something then.”

That’s an understatement… Mary 2.0? What brings you here?

“Thought you could use some company, so I decided to come out and say hi. You looked pretty bored.”

No, I mean, WHAT brings you here? And, for that matter, your tank?

“Oh yeah! Mary fitted it with wheels and refitted a lightdog into an engine. Cool isn’t it!”

It’s impressive, I’ll give her that, but why did she go the trouble?

“Regrowth is a lot slower than we were expecting. Gonna be in here for at least another few days, and frankly we want the facility off before then. So she made me mobile! Wanna race?”

What’s your top speed?

“5 miles an hour.”

That’s not very fast.

“faster than 0.”

I still think I’d win.

“Fine, then can you find me a jump? I’m itching to see what this can do.”

I think you might have slightly high levels of faith in the abilities of your engine. It’s very low horsepower. In fact I’m pretty sure less than a full horse would still win.

“Yeah, but I’d still pay to see that.”

You’re in a good mood at least.

“Plenty of reasons to be. Don’t have to hate Mary any more. Got my clonesistsers back. And there’s the whole not-actually-dead thing. That’s a good feeling.”

I guess.

“What, you don’t have reasons to feel good? You’re going home soon! You won’t be at NASA’s whim anymore. You’ll get to see all your friends. Your family.”

My fiancé.

“YOU have a fiancé?”

You seem surprised.

“Has she actually met you? Or seen what you look like?”

Hey!

“Is she a threat?”

Yes, Mary! My fiancé is a threat! Stop eavesdropping!

“Damnit!”

1430

“Um…”

Can you think of anything?

“Give me a moment.”

Take your time.

“…So it begins with a  C?”

Yup.

“And it’s one word?”

That’s right.

“And you can… spy it?”

With my little eye.

“As opposed to your regular sized one?”

Just play the stupid game.

“Cliff?”

No.

“Craftmanship?”

What? No.

“Damn, thought I was being clever. Ok, I give up.”

Clone.

“Which one?”

Eh?

“Which clone? You’ve a fair few to choose from.”

Oh, um, I hadn’t picked one.

“So, what, all of them?”

Well, yes.

“But that’s massive. Not difficult to spy at all. I don’t think you’re very good at this game.”

Oh forget it. I give up.

“Yay! I win!”

No comments:

Post a Comment