Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fifty-Eighth Entry


March 12th, 2037

1710

Dear Space Diary

Alright. Blue and Green are engaged in a cycle of death and rebirth. Mary is engaged in a fairly static state of having passed on.

NASA have gone home for the night, and can’t ask any more morbid favours of me.

I think I’m finally ready to actually go look for my ship and go home.

About bloody time.

1725

Just stepped inside the fallen building. Taking a proper look. Apart from the inferior materials they had to work with, these are really quite well made. I’m in a bedroom of some kind. This is to say, it has a bed in it, so one presumes.

Odd though. Most of the buildings I checked out (and mind, I was only looking at the ground level, whereas this is the… 37th floor) didn’t have any furniture in them. Whereas this is quite well furnished. Or it was, until it fell sideways.

Looks like Blue did a repair job on those as well, though it didn’t seem to know how to cope with the fact that everything was 90 degrees to the right. It turned all the furniture sideways. And then given it couldn’t get everything to stay on the floor/wall, has just stacked it all neatly on its side in the corner.

The bed and the wardrobe are welded to the floor, so they’re currently halfway up the wall.

Hmm. There’s a name on the wardrobe. That’s a bit pre-emptive of… Mary??

Why would Mary’s name be on a wardrobe here? Did she survive the crash? But I’ve seen her! She’s definitely dead.

Hang on, leaping to conclusions. Mary’s a common enough name, no reason it couldn’t just be a coincidence.

Mind you, her skeleton was pretty pristine. No breaks or fractures, so it’s entirely possible she survived the crash landing and then simply died later. People do that.

I wonder if there’s anything around here that’d prove it. If it’s just a normal room, then there wouldn’t be anything in the…
1735

Ok, no Mary definitely did come here.

There’s a copy of her log in the desk drawer.

Hmm. I guess it doesn’t change a whole lot. So she survived the crash. She’s still very much dead and taking up space in the living quarters.

Hmm. I’ll take the logs with me. Maybe these are a bit less corrupted, so NASA can get a few more entries out of them. I’ll check later.

On we go.

1800

I can’t find my ship anywhere. Need to keep looking. There are just rows and rows of buildings. Dotted along the edge are a lot of depot rooms, where those giant metal tubes connect up to. The rubble gets sucked into the rooms, and then the lightdogs cut up the material and use it to keep building. Meanwhile, other lightdogs roam the surface, collecting rubble (and wayward travellers), and bringing it in.

Quite a nifty system from a distance.

Downright terrifying while you’re in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment