Sunday, March 4, 2012

Fifty-Fifth Entry



March 12th, 2037

1305

Dear Space Diary,

Well, it’s a very nice building I suppose. More sideways than I would normally like, but mustn’t grumble.

It’s large, clean, well proportioned, fully furnished, and capable of accommodating thousands of workers and residents.

It is also very neatly blocking the door.

Meaning, I’m kind of trapped in here.

Given up until recently I thought I was kind of trapped on this planet as a whole, in some ways it merely comes down to a narrowing of mental boundaries. But as I now know I could have left at any time were it not for the fact that SOMEBODY forgot to mention this, it’s rather constricting to now be stuck inside a small room.

Well, it’s not that small. There is a spaceship in it.  But still.

Also a Lightdog, which seems to have decided the building is finished and has wandered off to find more things to fix.

1307

It’s currently heading towards the Zubrin. I had better stop it before it -

FZZZT

- Crashes into it again. You would think with all the advanced circuitry, and AI they would slip in somewhere “don’t crash in to things.” But apparently not.

At least they built them to take a pounding. Two head on collisions and not a dent on it.

I’ll leave it off for now. Otherwise I’ll be doing this all day.

1320

Back inside. Had lunch. (Today’s meal was paste. Again.) Now trying to decide how best to walk through walls.

1330

Have concluded it’s almost certainly impossible, and don’t really wish to try. I’ll sit down and have a think.

Ow. Something just jabbed me in my pocket. What on earth do I have in… AHA! It’s the USB drive! The one Mary used to reprogram the Lightdogs to destroy the asteroid! If they can destroy an asteroid, they can destroy a building. No problems.

1333

Where’s the blasted usb port?

Ah. Found it. It’s behind the cover marked “USB slot.” NASA: 1, ME: 0.

Ok. Turned it off, batteries in. Put the USB stick in.

Beeped at me. Is that a good sign? Or is it about to explode?

Mind you, that would probably still help me get out of here.

It’s stopped beeping. Two lights just flashed. Blue, then green. I think that means it’s reprogrammed.

Here goes.

CLICK.

1336

Closed my eyes first this time, so score one to me. Let go and it floated out of my hand.

1337

Is it far enough to open my eyes yet?

1338

How can I tell if I don’t open my eyes?

1339

I guess I better open my eyes.

GAH!

1340

Nope. It was still too close.

1342

Ok, vision back. It’s just kind of floating there. I wonder how I get it to start smashing stuff.

Took a step towards it. It backed away.

Another forward. It backed away.

I think I can herd it towards the building. Carefully…

1345

No, not towards the Zubrin!

No comments:

Post a Comment