Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fifty-Sixth Entry


March 12th, 2037

1350

Dear Space Diary,

I have successfully reprogrammed a Lightdog, so that it’s now a mindless tool of destruction, instead of what it used to be, which was a mindless tool of construction.

And it’s currently headed towards the spaceship I’m currently living in.

Whoa, there. Not that way.

Fortunately, it seems to be hard coded to stay away from humans, perhaps out of fear of accidentally slicing one up and packing it neatly into a rubbish pit.

Lucky me.

Either way, I’ve managed to steer it away from the Zubrin by placing myself in the line of fire. Fortunately, as previously mentioned this is not as dangerous as it sounds.

Off it goes, right towards the door with the fallen building behind it.

I wonder if it’ll work.

I wonder if the building is too big to cut up.

CRASH

I wonder if I should have opened the door.

That’s kind of moot now. There isn’t a door there anymore. That’s quite the cutting laser it has there.

BZZZZZZZZ

There goes the wall.

BZZZZZZZZ

And the other wall. It’s through the building! I’m free! There it goes, floating off into the distance.

…I don’t actually know how to stop it. This could be a problem.

1420

Been following the Lightdog for about half an hour. It’s slowly carved its way through 7 buildings now. Doesn’t look like it’s going to stop anytime soon. Fortunately the cuts are quite neat, I don’t think any of the buildings are going to fall down, but surely it’s only a matter of time  until it slices open the wrong corner and we get a domino effect of frighteningly non-metaphorical proportions.

Been racking my brains but I can’t think of how to stop it. Sure, I could just keep standing between it and buildings, but that’s a lousy way to spend the rest of my life, and I’ll need to sleep at some point. That’s 8 hours of mayhem I’d prefer to avoid.

The only thing that’s stopped it so far has been crashing into the Zubrin itself, and that was when it was in repair mode. I’m not sure I’m that eager to repeat while it’s in crush kill & destroy mode.

Speaking of repair mode, there goes one of the blue Lightdogs now.

Hmm.

1425

Here boy. Over here. Come on.

…I just whistled at it. I’m not sure what I actually expected that to achieve.

1435

Took a little herding, but I’ve managed to shoo the blue one over to the first upright building the green one cut through. It’s busy repairing it now.

1455

Boy, I’m tired. Need to sit down for a moment. I spent 20 minutes going round in circles keeping the green one away from any more buildings until the blue one could catch up. Now as soon as the green Lightdog cuts through a building, the blue one should start patching it up again.

…That’s quite possibly the worst solution to anything ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment