Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sixty-Fifth Entry


March 14th, 2037

0855

Dear Space Diary.

I have a high intensity explosive device capable of destroying targets up to 50 times its size.

At least, that's what the manual says.

I also have an industry grade adhesive device (grey), with strong lasting power and a wide variety of uses.

At least, that's what the manual says. (Yes, NASA have written a manual for Duct Tape. I wish I was joking, I really do.)

So, missile: check. Duct Tape: check. All I need now is a lightdog.

And preferably a pair of sunglasses.

0915

Found some sunglasses (or Glare Avoidance Devices according to – yes. They wrote one). Not sure they'll help, but at least I'm cool now.

Well, cooler.

No, just cool.

Ok, let's go hunting.

0945

Actually taking me longer than I expected. There's been quite a few lightdogs around every time I've ventured out, but it's completely deserted now. I wonder where they went? Maybe they found a really interesting rock to take to the rubbish pile.

Or maybe they found a really interesting space ship to take to the rubbish pile.

There's a worrying thought. I need to get this tracker working ASAP.

Either way, they're gone. Oh wait, there's two.

0947

It's Green and Blue. Green's been reprogrammed, so I guess he didn't get whatever call the others got, and Blue's far too busy cleaning up after Green. Maybe they're the last two ones here.

Hmm. Well, this is a good opportunity to fix a previous unintended side effect. Come here, Green.

0950

Bloody thing. It's not that he's avoiding me, more that he's completely ignoring me. And Blue's very close behind him, so I've got to keep moving or he'll try and fix the holes Green is making while I'm still in them. And I don't dare stand in front of Green, or he might decide I'm something that needs to be cut up and processed.

I don't want to be cut up and processed.

I know he's avoided me before, but I don't want to risk it.

0953

Now, if I remember correctly, the off switch was towards the bottom of the lightdogs. Just need to reach into the burning ball of light and hit the switch.

I'm not entirely pleased with how often NASA's plans seem to involve me reaching in to dangerous things to do something dangerous. This is the 2nd time today.

Oh well, I didn't die a horrible, agonising death last time.

0956

It's actually not that bad. I mean it's hot to be sure, and I'd rather not leave my hand inside a lightdog while trying to walk at the same pace as it, but there is a distinct lack of searing burning pain. Which is generally a good thing.

Ok, nearly got it.

0958

And...

CLICK

...done! It's switched off.

Blue's just finished repairing the last wall. Now it's just sitting there.

The cycle of destruction is over.

Now to launch a poor defenceless robot into orbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment