Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Seventieth Entry


March 14th, 2037

1540

Dear Space Diary.

Just put the SuperNoveyTM batteries into the tracker. Even if this doesn’t work, at least it’ll shut that thing up. Either way, I consider this a win.

1542

Come on, come on…

1543

Lights are flashing.

1557

Green light is on! No red light though. Hope my ship’s not out of range. I’ll never find it then. How far could it have gone? It’s not like it could have flown itself.

But somebody else could have…

Hmmm.

Ok, less overreacting. It’s probably just far away.

1558

Oh hang on, it just flashed. Once.

1559

And it’s gone again.

1600

Back.

1601

Gone.

1602

Back. My ship must be really far away.

Waving the tracker around a bit. Nothing. Odd. It’s meant to turn on and stay on if I’m facing the right direction.

Maybe I need to get closer. Guess I better starting walking.

1610

This city is actually pretty creepy without all the lightdogs. Well, it was creepy before. But now it’s extra creepy. Whole place is empty. Like a ghost town.

Note to self. Do not use word “ghost.” Ever. Again.

1620

Been walking in a straight line.

Nothing. No response from the tracker. Green light is on so I know it’s talking to the satellite. Red light isn’t flashing at all now.

Ok, left turn.

1625

Nope. Another Left.

1630

It’s on! The red light is on! I better test it.

Aim to the left, red light goes off.

Aim back straight ahead, light back on.

To the right. Off.

Back to centre.

On.

It’s found it! I just have to keep walking and it will lead me…

1650

…right back to where I started.

I don’t. Believe this. I launch a satellite, I nearly blow myself up a couple of times, I DID blow up a roof, and I stole batteries from an officially licensed NASA product, and for what?

In order to find my way back to the ship I was already in.

Outstanding. Just. Outstanding.

That’s ok. Keep calm. You’ll find another way.

1652

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

1702

Ok. I’m sane again.

1708

Messaged NASA and asked them why off Earth they would program a lightdog to track the ship I HAD ALREADY FOUND. Their response better be a good one.

1740

INCOMING TRANSMISSION

__

THE ZUBRIN DOESN’T HAVE A TRACKING DEVICE.

THIS IS WHY WE SENT YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE. IF WE HAD A TRACKING DEVICE ON THE ZUBRIN, WE WOULD HAVE SENT BOBO THE WONDER DOG INSTEAD OF YOU. HE’S BETTER BEHAVED. WHY ELSE DO YOU THINK WE HAD PETA BAN ANIMALS IN SPACE FLIGHT?

I’M GOING HOME FOR THE NIGHT. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE AFTER THE BEEP.

…YOU’LL NOTICE THERE WASN’T A BEEP.
__

END TRANSMISSION

1745

…NASA are as charming as always.

But I don’t get it. If not the Zubrin, what is it tracking?

1750

That’s weird. The Tracking device is going mental. But it’s pointing straight…

…Down.

No comments:

Post a Comment