Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sixty-Seventh Entry


March 14th, 2037

1152

Dear Space Diary.

About to have defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. My makeshift satellite is ready for launch. in fact it's in the process of launching.

The lightdog I strapped to it has been reprogrammed to broadcast and receive tracking signals from a tracking device I found in the supply cupboard, in effect making it both a tracker and a GPS.

Combined with it's soon to be new home in near orbit, this will hopefully lead me straight to the tracking signal emitting from my spacecraft, last seen disappearing up a giant metal tube and ending up... somewhere around here. But I don't know where. Given how crumbly everything is, combined with a mindless unstoppable cleaning crew, normal barriers such as walls or clear entry and exit points don't especially apply. My ship could literally be right under my nose and I'd never know it.

So launching this missile is about the best and only chance of finding my ship this decade.

And that bloody blue lightdog is about to block up the hole the missile needs to go launch through!

BEEP.

That's 5 beeps. Halfway to launch. Blue is about a third of the way through repairing the roof.

It's doing quite a good job, I can barely tell the roof had ever been destroyed after Blue's passed over it. I'd commend it if I wasn't trying to kill it.

That's a bit extreme. I don't want to kill Blue.

Just maim it.

1155

BEEP.

6 beeps. It's halfway through repairing the roof. I've moved the missile across to the far end of the hole, but he's going to finish before the 10th and final beep.

I don't know how to stop it though. It's too high to climb, and by the time I found a way up there, it'll probably be next week. I could just blow the roof over again, but I don't want to waste the last missile.

Also I really don't want to keep pulling missiles out of rocket launchers. Like, really not.

So what do I do? I can't just throw rocks at it.

...Actually that's probably my best shot. Where's a rock?

1157

BEEP

About two thirds across now, with three beeps to go.

Broke a few of chunks off the building outside the door. City was still deserted. Blue seems to be the last lightdog around. Joy.

I hope I can do this in three throws. I don't have time to find more.

Ok, throw number 1.

...that was terrible. Hit the roof. I'm not even going to count that one. Try again.

Throw number 1.

...Ok, that was better. Actually went through the hole. The low gravity helps.

Still missed, though.

Throw 2.

BEEP

Blast! The beep made me jump. Missed again.

Last one. Throw 3.

...YES! TOUCH DOWN! HOME RUN! SPORTS METAPHORS!

Clean thwacked Blue with the chunk. It's totally disabled.

BEEP

One more beep and...

...I haven't turned the lightdog back on yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment