Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fifty-Fourth Entry


March 12th, 2037

0815

Dear Space Diary,

Here’s what I’d like to do today.

I’d LIKE to go put on a spacesuit, leave the Zubrin, go out that door over there, and explore a fragile empty city in the vain hope of finding my spaceship and my only chance of getting out of here.

Actually, scratch that. I would not like to do that. I’d like to have a quiet afternoon on Earth, eating macaroons and yelling at the television. It doesn’t even have to be on.

What I NEED to do, though, is find my ship.

Problem is I can’t. The remains of a broken skyscraper are blocking the exit to the room I and my space ship are in. Not through poor town planning, but rather because it fell over.

Though now that I think of it, that probably still counts as poor town planning.

I need to find my ship. What I need to do more is move an entire building.

So much for macaroons.

0825

No bright ideas. Any suggestions on building moving, NASA?

0900

INCOMING TRANSMISSION

__

JUST GET A PROCESSING UNIT - OR “LIGHTDOG” IF YOU MUST - TO MOVE IT FOR YOU. HONESTLY.

__

END TRANSMISSION

0905

Well that’s a great idea NASA. Why didn’t I do that already? Oh that’s right, it’s because all the Lightdogs are out there, on the other side of the building. Not to mention that I have little to no control over them anyway.

0935

INCOMING TRANSMISSION

__

YES, BUT THEY’RE PROGRAMMED TO REPAIR PROBLEMS. A FALLEN BUILDING SOUNDS LIKE A PROBLEM TO ME.

ALSO. YOUR TONE. WATCH IT.

__

END TRANSMISSION

0937

Watch my tone? WATCH MY TONE?

Look, even if I could direct a Lightdog, there just isn’t… actually there is that broken one outside. I wonder if it works.

0944

It’s pretty scuffed, but seems to be in one piece. There’s even an “on” button. That’s nice and simple for once.

CLICK

CLICK CLICK CLICK

CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

Blast, it’s not working.

Hmm. Battery panel.

0946

Double A’s? Really? Space exploration, faster than light drives, city building robots, and you’re still powering these things with something from the local electronics store?

Oh well, at least they’re using rechargables. And they’re obviously energy efficient. That’s actually pretty good design.

One is loose. Pop it back in and… gah!

0950

My eyes! It burns!!

0953

Vision back to normal at last.

Turns out a bright blue ball of light really stings if you turn it on right in front of your face. That’s probably worth remembering.

Anyway it’s on and heading straight for the rubble from the building!

One of NASA’s plans worked. I’m actually impressed.

1300

Been a few hours, should be done by now.

…Oh.

Well, it certainly repaired the building. Unfortunately it didn’t think standing it upright was necessary.

So instead, I have a large skyscraper blocking the door that is now in perfect condition.

I guess that’s a step forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment