Friday, May 18, 2012

100th Entry


March 20th, 2037

0900

Dear Space Diary.

Well, THAT was an eventful couple of days. 30 separate chemicals that had to be concocted, manufactured, and assembled. The adventures we want on. The perilous dangers that ensued. The daring escapes, the bravery (mainly by yours truly). The nail biting excitement.

<RECORDS DELETED>

Just kidding, it was three days of sitting in a lab being bored and pretending to know what Mary meant when she said things like “What an interesting atomic structure!”

I still have a little difficulty readjusting my mental image of Mary from 18 year old know nothing to 40 year old know everything, but she still feels far more like Mary than Mary 2.0 ever did.

Speaking of, Mary still isn’t talking to me about that. Waving me away with her need to keep working, or when I pressed the issue too far, with a well-aimed beaker, she’s remained silent.

Fair enough I guess, but I still have to wonder the reasoning behind cloning her. She’s an undeniable genius now, but, with all due respect she was a little below the average when she first left. And if she was headed to Mars, she would have had a lot less reading time.

I also have to wonder… where are all the other ones? I presume they made more than two. So where are they?

Hmm.

Mary hasn’t woken up yet, which is why I’m wondering this aloud without being hit with anything. In fact she’s only just gone to bed, she was up all night finishing the last few ingredients. Now the fuel is being mixed and combined with the rocks (plus a great deal more she prepared earlier) to produce an extremely large silo of fuel.

Which fortunately, I don’t have to carry. Much like the ship’s water supply, the fuel will then be compacted down into a small tank (About the same size of a medium sized Labrador, apparently), making it much easier to carry around, or given it’ll still be somewhat heavy, roll around.

I’m pretty worn out after the last three days. At least now I can kick back and -

“Ugh. Can you stop talking please. I’m trying to sleep.”

…I think I might go for a walk.

1500

Been walking for hours, but once I realised where I wanted to go I just couldn’t stop until I’d seen it.

The city is behind me now in the distance.

The pit must be just on the other side of that hill.

1507

They have been busy, haven’t they.

The lightdogs have put in a structure in the middle of the pit, almost like an oil rig. A central staircase spirals deep into the pit, with several buildings suspended around the central pillar.

Machines all along the walls, but I can’t see them properly.

1510

This is massive. Amazing that they built it all so fast. There’s computers and everything.

And… oh my God. Lining the walls, in their thousands are…

Thousands of Marys.

No comments:

Post a Comment