Tuesday, May 29, 2012

107th Entry


March 21st, 2037

1630

Dear Space Diary.

The fuel is at last ready. Through some amazing chemical know how on Mary’s part, she has produced a clean fuel that will last for ages, and has been compressed to such a degree that we’ve enough fuel to blast our two ships on a 20 year voyage home the long way if so required. All contained in this one tiny tank.

This one tiny heavy tank.

This one tiny heavy tank that I have to carry.

This one tine heavy tank that I have to carry from one side of the city to the next.

Hmm.

1700

Mary tells me that we’ve made good progress, and it was a lot easier than she thought it would be. Mind, Mary hasn’t been carrying anything except a small pack of tools and an air of smugness, so I’m disinclined to consider her fully informed about the situation.

This thing is HEAVY.

That said, we have actually made pretty good time. Still got a long walk yet but we’re further than I thought we’d be.

We’re taking a break, to get some rest.

“No.”

But… you said we could!

“No, we are taking a break, and if you need to get some rest please do, I don’t want you falling over. But that’s not why we’re taking it.”

Enlighten me.

“How much have you been paying attention to your surroundings?”

I’ve been mainly paying attention to the very heavy tank of fuel that nobody is helping me carry.

“Fair enough I guess. That must suck for you. I’d point out that it’s actually too small for two people to carry effectively, but I think you’re enjoying your grumbling too much. Anyway, take a look for me now.”

In any particular direction?

“Anywhere you like. Take your time.”

Ok um…

1703

I don’t know what I’m looking for.

“Evidently. Tell me what you can see.”

I really don’t know what to say. There’s the buildings. They’re still pink. The dome above us. Sun’s going down… Mary, there’s nothing interesting here at all! It’s just buildings, lightdogs, and very long streets that I have to carry this tank down.

“Wait for it.”

…Tank?

“Nope.”

Buidlings?

“Nope.”

…Pink?

“Come on, think.”

Um…

1710

Wait! A lightdog!

“There we go.”

But what is it doing here?

“If I knew, I wouldn’t have stopped. In fact I would have run. But it’s been following us for a good 15 minutes, and I’m not sure why.”

Just the one.

“As far as I can tell. Unless the others are better at hiding than this one, this little guy is the only one.”

Is it Larry, Curly, or Moe?

“Not one of mine. I left mine back at the plant. This guy’s new. New colour, too.”

You’re right. I haven’t seen an orange one before.

“Odd, isn’t it.”

Do you think it knows we’ve spotted it?

“From the way it’s trying desperately trying to hide itself behind that pole, I’m guessing yes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment