Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ninety-Eighth Entry


March 17th, 2037

1130

Dear Space Diary.

This is quite a large city. I say that because we’ve been walking for over an hour and we haven’t even gotten halfway to the fuel factory.

“Yeah, I apologise about. I was… quite angry, after landing, after they started building. I wanted to be as far away from NASA as possible. So I kind of ran. Lived in the suit for a while. Then, when the city caught up with me, I took one of the apartments. Kept to myself until the others turned up.”

Yeah. About that.

“I don’t really want to talk about it. You’ve seen two of them. You know what NASA did. It didn’t go as they expected.”

But…

“Just drop it. Please. I promise, I will tell you all about it on the flight home. I’m sorry.”

Ok, ok, I can respect that. But you must understand how this all seems to me. The things I’ve discovered.

“Believe me, I do. But… look, let’s get the fuel. Can we just do that, for now?”

Sure. Can I ask about the city?

“Not sure what to say. The units, wait, what did you call them?”

Lightdogs.

“Lightdogs. Nice. I like that. Well, they built this whole thing, in two weeks. Amazing, isn’t it? They get quite a production line together when they want to.”

Indeed. It makes me wonder what they’re building out in the rocks.

“Yeah. We’ll fly over it when we leave. Til then, happier that they’re there than here.”

Mm.

1200

“You’re very quiet.”

Just thinking. About what NASA is up to.

“Honestly, I found it just better to not worry about it. They’re hardly going to tell you. Ignorance, as it turns out, actually is bliss.”

Yeah, but somebody did tell me. Just before I ran into you, somebody sent me a mission document. A real one. About the other yous.

…Wow you turned around fast.

“They’re NOT me. Don’t you ever say that again.”

Ok, ok, sorry.

“You will be.”

And off she goes. Storming ahead. Have to run to keep up.

I’m sorry, Mary. Do you want to talk about it?

1245

That’d be a no, I take it?

1313

Well, on an emotional level, that was a really uncomfortable walk. But we’re here, at long last.

Mary seems calmer, but it’s pretty clear that she considers our previous conversation closed. I’ve decided it’s probably best to respect her wishes.

Plus, she kind of scares me.

She’s inside, checking the facility. I’m to keep watch for anything suspicious. Depending on your definition, around here that’s either nothing or everything. So I don’t actually know what I’m watching for. But I’m watching for it.

“Ok, come on in. You can meet the gang.”

…Gang?

“Yeah. Come on. Here. This is Larry, Curly, and Moe.”

I don’t understand, who off Earth… Oh! Lightodgs?

“Yup. Needed somebody to run the generator. These guys do a great job.”

Um. Mary.

“Yeah?”

Why are they in cages?

No comments:

Post a Comment