Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Ninety-Second Entry


March 16th, 2037

1738

Dear Space Diary

The Lead poisoning must be making me hallucinate. I’d swear I saw someone in a spacesuit standing over there.

But the only person who it could be possibly be is Mary, and she’s currently a) dead, and b) dead.

So obviously it’s a hallucination.

True, I don’t really feel any ill effects of lead poisoning yet, apart from a deep and gut wrenching depression. Also a tendency to exaggerate, although they possibly both started long before the lead poisoning. In fact, unless I specifically get up and go eat something, I’ll probably starve to death before the lead finishes me off.

But either way, unless I can do a ten minute run in about a minute, I’m doomed. Doomed as a dodo. A dodo that’s doomed.

Doomed.

Oh look, the hallucination is walking closer. I suppose it can keep me company while I lie here in doomed misery. Hello Hallucination.

“Hello.”

You’re looking very hallucinogenic today.

“…Are you ok?”

Oh yes. Just making conversation before I die. I’m doomed, you see.

“How long have you been out here?”

About half an hour.

“No, I mean, how long have you been out here. On this planet.”

Oh. Weeks. But surely you know that. You’re a figment of my imagination, after all.

“…Sure. Listen, you’re going to need some clear air. I’ve got an oxygen mask trapped to my air filter here. Take it.”

No point. I’m doomed, you see.

“Yes, you mentioned that. I can help. NASA left some medicine in the Zubrin. It should help.”

I never saw any medicine.

“That would probably be because I took it with me. I didn’t expect to be coming back to the ship.”

Coming back?

“Ok, you know what? Time is running out for you, so if it’s ok, I’m going to ask you to shut up now while I save your life.”

Seems a fair trade.

“Ok, just lie still and breathe deep. Here’s the mask.”

Sure.

…She’s dead, you know.

“Stop talking.”

I wanted to save her.

“I know. I’ve been watching. Listen, you’re going to feel a sharp, stabbing pain in your arm in just a moment.”

Why’s that?

“Because I’m about to stab you with something sharp.”

Oh. A needle?

“Bingo. It’ll help clear your system out. I’ll carry you back to your ship.”

Why will you need to carry me?

“Well, you’re about to pass out.”

From exhaustion?

“No, from what I just injected into your arm.”

I thought you said it was medicine?

“It is. The unconsciousness is just a happy side effect.”

So I can rest?

“More so that you’ll shut up for a bit. But hey, everyone wins.”

Oh. I’m starting to feel woozy now.

“Bang on schedule. Listen. Don’t worry. I’ve been keeping an eye on you. You’re doing fine. There’s nothing you could have done to save her.”

I guess.

“Anyway. Plenty more where she came from.”

…What did you just –?

THUMP

“Thank goodness for that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment