Monday, May 14, 2012

Ninety-Sixth Entry


March 17th, 2037

0320

Dear Space Diary.

I can’t sleep. This seems to be a regular occurrence.

Lying awake on the floor of the Zubrin. There’s only one Bed and by seniority alone, Mary gets it. She made that politely quite clear. But we found a spare doona and a pillow, and the floor isn’t THAT hard I guess. Mainly though, I can’t sleep because our conversation last night keeps going through my head.

It never occurred to me that NASA might not be coming.

I’m sure that must be wrong. I’ve seen the newspapers, and pictures of the ship. It must be coming. I mean, Mary’s right, NASA have been lying to us. Kind of a lot. They probably think it was with good reason. But still. Honesty and NASA are not the closest of bedfellows.

Mind you, Mary has been stuck in space for 20 years, and on a mostly deserted planet for a couple more. That’s bound to do things to you. She could be insane. She could be irreparably pessimistic.

“She could be still awake.”

She could be still… oops.

0340

“You still awake?”

Yes.

“Ok. Look. Don’t give up hope. NASA could still be coming. But I still think we should look at our own options. We have a faster than light ship, that has more than enough fuel to get us home. I checked, that’s real enough. All we need is the fuel to get it into space. And I can make that.”

Why are you even making fuel?

“Because if nothing else presented itself, I could at least fly home the long way. And get to enjoy the remainder of my life on Earth.”

When you’re 60?

“I’ve met some pretty wild 60 year olds.”

…Tell you what; let’s end that particular avenue of conversation right there.

“Suits me fine.”

So my ship can take off. That’s great. But it’s a one person ship. And don’t get me wrong, you seem a lovely person, but I’m not sure I really want to spend several months in permanent physical contact strapped into the seat with you.

“I bet you say that to all the girls.”

All the girls on this planet, anyway.

“So very wrong. Anyway, I thought of that too. We use my tow cable to anchor the Zubrin to your ship. Then you simply fly us home. We’ll stay in radio contact, so we won’t be alone for the voyage.”

…That might actually work.

“It actually might. Both ships have enough food…”

They’re both sturdy enough to survive re-entry.

“We’re both used to long voyages.”

And it’ll show NASA we’re not to be pushed around anymore.

Exactly. You in?”

…Ok, I’m in.

“Right on. See? We have hope. We can go home.”

We can go home.

“I just said that.”

I was repeating it for emphasis.

“Oh.”

We can go home.

“Stop it. Now, the first step of our plan is most important.”

And that is?

“Shut up. I’m trying to sleep.”

No comments:

Post a Comment