Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Ninety-Third Entry


March 16th, 2037

1815

Dear Space Diary.

Can’t… think… properly. Words… go… wrong… ish.

“Stop talking. Go back to sleep.”

1827

Ow.

“Sorry. You’re heavier than I expected.”

Don’t mention it.

“Shh. We’re almost back. Try and keep the oxygen mask on.”

…The what?

“Never mind. I’ll try and keep it on you.”

Oxygen… Good.

“Yes. Oxygen very good. Deep breaths.”

Ok. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

“I’m going to give you another shot.”

Is the lead… still there?

“Yes. Also, your talking is less than useful.”

Ow.

“Ow indeed. Don’t worry. I’ve almost carried you back. You can sit down soon. Back in your ship. You’d like that, wouldn’t you? Being back in your ship?”

Mary… was going to help me. But she’s not going to help me. Is she?

“…Mary is going to help you.”

I don’t understand.

“Shh. Nearly there.”

I’m going to pass out now.

“You do that.”

1903

“You’re in your ship now. I’m going to strap you in and get you set up.”

Thank you Mary.

“…You’re welcome. Ok, left arm up. And through the strap. Good boy. Now right arm. No, that’s your left arm again. Right arm. On your right. Hence the name.”

This one?

“No.”

Oh. This one?

“No, that’s still the same one.”

Oh. Really?

“I assure you, it is. There we go. Ok. Just clipping you in. Now, I’m just going to adjust your tubes.”

Glaaarhghghghabblle.

“Ok, that’s the food one in.”

ARGH!

“And there’s the other end. Now, just sit here. It’s going to take a while for the side effects to wear out. But when you wake up, your system will be clean. Back to normal. But don’t go outside again, ok? I’ve only got three shots left, and I’d prefer they went on emergencies rather than stupidity.”

Oooooookay.

“Right. Now wait here. I’ll be back to get you. I’m just going to empty the fuel tanks. They’re pretty empty, but hopefully I can get something.”

Fueeeel. Won’t I need that?

“It’s just to get back to the city. Don’t worry, I know where there’s more.”

Ooooooooookay.

“You keep telling yourself that.”

Ooooooooookay.

“On second thoughts, don’t. Just… go back to sleep. I’ll be back to pick you up.”

Goodbye Mary.

“…Bye.”

2200

Ow, my head hurts. Feels like I’ve been drinking for weeks. Man.

…How did I get back in my spaceship? Last thing I remember was…

Oh Mary.

Had the weirdest dream that someone carried me here. But it must have been a dream. There’s nobody else left. I must have gotten back here myself and passed out.

Odd. There’s a note taped to the dashboard. ‘DO TOXICOLOGY TEST.’

I guess it would be good to know how bad the poisoning is.

2203

It’s… clear! No lead at all. I don’t understand. How?

Maybe it wasn’t a dream. But if I wasn’t dreaming, who was in the spacesuit? And where are they now?

…And what’s that noise?

2205

There’s something flying above me. Something big.

2207

…It’s the Zubrin!

No comments:

Post a Comment