Thursday, May 3, 2012

Ninetieth Entry


March 16th, 2037

1715

Dear Space Diary.

Keep calm.

Keep really calm.

Ok, so Mary’s sitting in the spaceship. That’s ok. That’s fine. She’s looking at the computer. That’s fine. That’s ok. The computer you left open confidential mission documents that you were expressly asked not to let her see.

That’s less fine.

The documents are all about her.

That’s not ok.

Keep calm. She may not have read it. She may be looking at something else. Maybe NASA sent a new message. Something harmless. Like, the rescue ship is here! And we brought doughnuts.

Or she could be reading the confidential mission documents all about here that I left open, on the screen, in plain sight. Because I’m real smart that way.

I should go explain. Or pretend I don’t know what they’re talking about. Whichever of those is the less cowardly.

She’s seen me. She’s not smiling. Is that good? Or bad? She doesn’t look angry, either. She just… looks.

I’m getting pretty close now. Should I wave? No, that would look stupid. Or a friendly thumbs up? No, even more stupid.

I wonder what she’ll say.

Oh. As it turns out, nothing. Instead, she’s running away.

With the spacesuit.

I should go after her. But I’ve only got 15 minutes of safe time before the lead in the atmosphere starts getting dangerous. I should just sit the spacesuit. But she could be miles away before I can safely get back out again.

…damn it. I better go after her.

1717

She’s a pretty fast runner, but the spacesuit is pretty ungainly, and I’m a decent sprinter in my much less baggy uniform. I’m catching up, but she’s still fairly far away.

1719

Getting closer. Starting to get puffed though. I really should have exercised more back on Earth. Like, more than once.

She’s heading up the hill. This is my chance to catch her.


Agh. The light is blinding. We’re running almost directly into the sun, and it’s still pretty bright. In fact we’re heading just a little south of west.

Hmm, that’s back towards the light dogs. Is that deliberate?

Should probably save my breath for this whole running thing.

1724

Ok, top of the hill. I must be close behind her…

The lightdogs have been busy it seems. That’s quite the chasm. Is it a chasm if it’s man, er, robot made? Either way, it’s an extremely large, very deep hole.

And Mary’s running right towards it.

Mary! Stop! Come back!

I’ve got to keep – ahh!

Ow.

Erk.

Ouch.

Ooh.

Urk.

THUMP

1726

…Falling down hills hurt, who knew?

Can see Mary from where I’m lying. She’s right on the edge of the pit now. Please stop, Mary. Please.

Oh good. She’s stopped. She’s turning back. That’s good. Now start walking.

1727

Ok, take your helmet off first. That’s fine.

Sure, wave at me, fine. Nice to see you too. Now, slowly start to walk…

No, forwards! Not… back…

She… stepped off.

She’s… she’s gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment