Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Ninety-Seventh Entry


March 17th, 2037

0937

Dear Space Diary.

Despite our early morning conversations, I actually slept quite well. Maybe definitive action is the best medicine.

Mary’s currently availing herself of a last shower before we head out to the fuel plant. I’m availing myself of the opportunity of sitting in the corner with my chair facing away from the shower door and not moving an inch. Mary was very polite but extremely clear about this. The Zubrin is roomy, but when you’re building a ship for one person you don’t especially need to worry about such concerns as privacy.

1010

Gosh this wall’s interesting.

…hang on, how long has she been in the shower for? Hasn’t she heard of water conservation?

“The water supply is a special tank filled with “dense” water that’s been compacted down to effectively a kind of concentrate. I don’t pretend to understand the science, but basically they’ve managed to store a small ocean in a small tank down the back. All the system needs to do is add the decompression agent and bingo, near unlimited water, by our terms.”

How do you know all this?

“20 years. Reading time. I think I’ve covered that.”

So what’s the decompression agent?

“I think you’re going to like this.”

…It’s water, isn’t it.

“Yup. It mixes with the concentrate in minute doses, triggering a chain reaction that causes the water to expend to pretty much normal levels. Isn’t science wonderful?”

“So to make water, we just need to add water?”

Indeed. Only a tiny amount though. Otherwise we’d have a tidal wave that’s trying to fit in a small shower. It won’t end well. You can turn around now, by the way.”

Thank you. Do you mind if I use the shower now?

“Oh you won’t need to, really. I washed you just yesterday.”

…Um, what?

“Don’t give me that look, exfoliating is very important.”

When you’ve got lead poisoning?

“I dunno, maybe. But it’s good for your skin.”

…Right.

1020

And we’re off.

Mary’s taken the lead since she actually knows where we’re going. So I’m just strolling along behind, taking in the city sights for nearly the last time.

1025

Bored now.

1055

Are we there yet?

“How old are you?”

Old enough to be bored.

“But we’re going home soon! To Earth! You’ve plenty of time to be bored later. Like on the voyage home. Which reminds me, do you need any supplies from the Zubrin for the trip? Entertainment for example?”

Well, I did have a book.

“Really? When I looked in there all I found was a few dozen paper cranes.”

Yeah. Did.

“Right. Well before we go, help yourself to anything from the library. I’ve read most of it, and I can transmit the electronic ones.”

I dunno, they’re all science books. What if they’re boring?

“…Then I hijack your ship, sever the tow cable, and leave you drifting in the dark void of space.”

They sound great! I’d love to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment