Friday, May 25, 2012

105th Entry


March 20th, 2037

2135

Dear Space Diary.

“I said freeze!”

Well it’s getting pretty cold out; can you give me a moment? I’ll do my best to speed up the process.

“Oh it’s you. Come on in.”

Mary, why are you pointing a gun at me? And also, where did you get a gun to point at me?

“The Zubrin had one in the cupboard. I honestly don’t know if NASA just threw in everything they thought I could possibly need, or if they forgot to clean the cupboard out before we launched.”

Neither would surprise me.

“Indeed.”

Well, I’m glad we got that sorted. Now, to return to my initial question…

“I woke up. Six  hours ago. You were gone. You did not return. For six hours. I’ll admit I may have got a little freaked out.”

You were worried about me?

“Well, you are the only other human on this planet.”

…Yes, that’s right! Only one.

“So it’d be a shame to lose you. You are, well, you’re a friend. Kind of the only one I have. Curly and Larry don’t count. And I’ve never really liked Moe.”

Why not?

“He’s got an attitude.”

No he doesn’t.

“Whatever!  Anyway, I panicked, I’m sorry, but you’re back. Where did you go, anyway?”

I went back to my ship. Wanted to see if NASA had sent any messages.

“Really? I keep telling you, NASA are lying to you. They’ve lied to everyone, and yet you still hang on their every word.”

I don’t believe they’ve been lying to whole time. Stuff they haven’t told us? Sure. Information they’ve neglected to pass on through general incompetence? Almost certainly. But I’m not convinced it’s a grand conspiracy to deceive us. Especially as they’ve sent me the mission documents.

“Someone sent you the mission documents. I’m not convinced it’s someone who works at NASA. Anymore, anyway.”

We’ll see I guess.

“I hope not. I hope I never have anything to do with them, ever again.”

Great, sure thing. Now I’ve had a few long walks today, maybe we should get some rest.

“Rest? I’ve only been up for six hours. I’m full of beans. Well, paste. We’ve got plenty of work to do yet!”

…But I’m tired!

“Are you also five?”

No.

“Then grow up. Now, help me move this tank.”

Sigh.

March 21st, 2037

0220

“Ok, we’re doing well! Now, it’s probably time we took a break.”

For sleep?

“For lunch.”

But it’s two in the morning!

“Why are you even on Earth time anymore? The planet doesn’t even revolve at the same speed.”

It’s what I’m used to.

“But it makes no sense! It takes two “Earth” days for one day to pass here.”

But it’s about the only thing of Earth I have left, ok?

“Time?”

No, this watch. Only thing left. And I’d like to keep using it. I can’t live on 48 hour days. I’d go mental.

“Mental-er.”

That’s not even a word.

“Not on Earth. New rules.”

No comments:

Post a Comment