Thursday, May 31, 2012

109th Entry


March 21st, 2037

1930

Dear Space Diary.

Been walking for a few hours now. This tank isn’t getting any lighter. In fact I think it’s getting heavier. Mary, the tank is getting heavier. I think it’s expanding.

“For the last time, the tank can’t expand on its own. Unless I add the right chemical, it’ll just sit there silently. A trait that you could perhaps draw inspiration from.”

Ok, I’m just saying that if it does, you’re cleaning it up.

“Keep walking, I want to get there before you start whining that it’s past your bedtime.”

…I don’t whine.

“Is it opposite day?”

Are you twelve?

“Respect your elders.”

The future belongs to the young.

“You’re only four years younger than me.”

I’ve been through a lot.

“I’ve been through 20 years of exile in space, followed by a year and a half being farmed in a cloning facility.”

Touché.

“Indeed. Argument over?”

Agreed.

“Shake?”

Shake.

“Great. Now let’s keep moving.”

2000

Is the lightdog still following us?

“Yes.”

What’s it doing now?

“Attempting to look nonchalant.”

How does a robot look nonchalant?

“It’s quite impressive.”

2015

Is it still there?

“Yes.”

2023

Still there?

“Yes.”

2024

Are we –?

“Don’t you dare.”

2106

“Ok, we’re back.”

Hurrah!

“Well that was quite a walk. And I’m impressed you carried that tank all the way here. I guess we should rest for a moment before –“

Zzzzzzzz…

“…Oh who cares. You earned it.”

March 22nd 2037

0715

“I got you breakfast.”

Gah!

“Oh, sorry, I guess good morning is more traditional.”

Little bit. Did you mention breakfast?

“I did.”

Wait. The only food we have is nutritional paste.

“Yes.”

So by get me breakfast, you mean you scooped some paste out of a tube and carried it over here.

“Yes. It’s your breakfast. And I got it for you.”

…thanks.

“You’re welcome!”

Very kind of you.

“It’s my good deed for the day.”

You mean that literally don’t you.

“Yup. Don’t expect anything else.”

Noted.

0745

Eaten and showered. Feeling moderately human. That’s a step forward.

Mary is asleep in the Zubrin. I’ve decided to catch up on some of NASA’s messages. To be honest I’m not that inclined to talk to them, but there’s a lot going on and they seem to be behind it. I think I’m owed an answer or two.

0705

Ok, let’s see… Login: GINEAUPIG1 Password…

Damn it. I can’t remember my password. Haven’t used this thing in ages.

Um… was it TOTHESTARS? No, wait, that was the temporary one. I had to change it when I first logged in.

Um… IWANNAGOHOME.

<PASSWORD INVALID>

SCREWYOUNASA

<PASSWORD INVALID>

LETMEOFFTHISCRAZYTHING

<PASSWORD INVALID. DUE TO THREE INCORRECT ATTEMPTS, YOUR ACCOUNT HAS BEEN LOCKED. PLEASE RESET YOUR PASSWORD>

Sigh. Ok.

<TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD, PLEASE ANSWER YOUR SECRET QUESTION TO CONFIRM YOUR IDENTITY>

Oh yes, that’s right. I probably picked first pet. I always choose first pet. Mitten the Kitten. Easy.

<Q: WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE POPULAR NASA MASCOT?>

1 comment: